Chapter 7: "When Nightmares Come True"

Word count: 1645 words

The night was as young as David could ever remember.

Cars went zooming by rapidly, orange streetlights started to slowly switch itself on one by one, and pedestrians stopped their way to wherever they were heading to, watching the quarrel happening on the road, and fuck those angry drivers; they were jamming on their horn like there was no tomorrow, goddamn it! David hated being the center of attention, especially when he was slowly drawing the cops' attentions.

"Craig, stop making a scene! And you're hurting me!"

But, Craig didn't stop pulling on David's sleeves as if he were desperately begging David to give his life back, and those tears were like projectiles - falling so quick to the asphalt and were forgotten a second afterwards.

"He hates me, David! He fuckin' hates me!"

"Get into the car and we'll talk about it later!"

"I need you to help me, David!"

"With what?!"

"Kill me right here and right now! I need him to see that I'll gladly take a bullet for him!"

+ + + + +

David woke up with a start in the middle of the night, chest heaving and sweat rolling down his temple. It was that same old repetitive dream again. Damn, he couldn't just stop overthinking about that crazed look reflected behind Craig's glasses, and he couldn't shrug off the scorching guilt he had been bearing for two years now. For God's sake, he should've pulled the trigger and took all the blame on him instead of Tyler. But, no matter which decision he chose, the outcome would be the same; Tyler and Craig would never have their happy ending and Tyler would still hunt him down for his deeds.

His eyes were reflexly trained on the ray of moonlight that blanketed his body, illumining him with enough light to look around his hospital room. Apparently, the rain had stopped and he had kicked away his hospital blanket somewhere to the floor because his nightmare was burning him alive, so he needed a room to breathe and the blanket granted his wish.

It's confirmed that Craig had put a curse on me, he thought mindlessly, fluffing the pillow under him and rearranged it, and Tyler is Craig's little spawn of satan. Great. My life is completely endangered now.

The last sentence Craig said to him in his dream earlier rang in his head crazily, hammering his head akin to migraine, and he could easily mistaken it with migraine. A very bad one.

Killing Craig was a very bad idea to start with, and looking at him helplessly as he exhaled his one last breath was worse. David was glad he didn't do the first option, but it seemed that he should've done both. And...what would be next, then; let Tyler torture him for the rest of his life?

The. Worst. Idea. Ever.

Why Craig put him into that kind of situation still had his brain rolling. Was it even April Fool's Day? Did he do something gravely inexcusable that it was illogical to forgive him with a single 'it's okay, David, it wasn't entirely your mistake'? Did he really have to go through the hard way and face death as its consequences? He needed answers and obviously no one was going to provide him with them at the moment.

"It's dangerous to see you falling so deep in your reverie like that, David."

That broke David's concentration on his own problems, and he looked around to find the source of the voice. It was distinct enough to distinguish Lui's voice from his other friends, and he watched the figure slowly stepped out of the shadow, dragging a blanket behind him and eyes looked restless, starting to speak up again, "what seems to wake you up?"