Part 2

One week went by, taking longer than summer break and it felt like I was waiting for something. But I didn't know what it was. The girl from the bookstore was on my mind 24 hours every day, I even dreamed of her, but it felt like it was just a onetime experience and a big chance that I've missed. Despite this, I somehow did not lose the hope yet.
As I should.

It was Thursday again, and I went to the bookstore. Again. My escape from all the stuff going on in my life, school, my parents, and the work I had to do at home. I hate it, so I always tell my parents that I have to go to the bookstore after school to study there, because only they have the books that I need, but that's obviously a lie. I'm not a person that has to study a lot, I just go to that bookstore because it's a very peaceful place and probably the prettiest place in New York. That's why I go there every week, mostly on Thursdays.                                                                                                    I entered the store and the first thing I saw was the girl from last week.
She was wearing a black, slim fitting dress this time, covered by a grey sweat jacket that was half zipped up, fishnet tights and the Doctor Martens.
My eyes widened and I felt the butterflies in my stomach coming up again. I was so incredibly happy to see her here again because I did not expect that. I walked up to the books, trying to be close to her. We were only separated by one bookshelf. I did that on purpose so I could watch her, so that's what I did.
I noticed the letter "M" as a pendant of one of her necklaces. "Is that the first letter of your name? Wait... please don't tell me that's the first letter of your partner's name..." I felt my heart shattering a bit. "I've already seen so many people wearing their partners initial. Are you one of those people too? Max, Mario, Marc, Morgan, do I know him?" I thought, feeling disappointment again.                                                                                                                      I looked down to focus on the books that I was actually here for. I couldn't concentrate, so I looked up, just to see that she was gone.
I almost started panicking but was interrupted by a female voice saying "Hi." I frightenedly turned my head around and I was looking directly into her green eyes.
I didn't know what to say, I was shocked, but she smiled again. "I noticed you looking at me a few times and thought that you maybe needed something? And I already saw you last Thursday. Oh... Sorry if I perceived it wrong. I just wanted to make sure everything's okay." She started to stutter in the end. I didn't know what to say. I felt caught. She must be terrified of me, staring at her like a creepy old man, oh my god... Poor girl.
"Hi uhhh, well... Yes, everything's okay, I just... uhm..." My head turned red. "I'm glad!", she held out her hand to me. "I'm May by the way." The smile was coming back to my face. It's her initial.                                                                         

My hand touched hers. "My name's Joe. Uhm, nice to meet you!"
We continued having a pretty nice conversation about the bookstore and New York. I found out that she's 15 years old, her birthday is in October, so she's half a year younger than me, her favourite books are psych thrillers, but she also likes Twilight. She's from a small village in Virginia but recently moved here with her mom and her sister. That's why I never saw her before.
"So, are you going to my school soon?" I asked, hoping for the answer that I wanted to hear. "Uhm, yes, in about two or three weeks, I think. My mom and me are still very busy with the moving and I also got a little sister two months ago that is screaming all the time, which is driving both of us crazy, so I must help my mom with the apartment before being gone all day. She somehow managed me not having to go to school for the first few weeks." A little giggle left May's mouth. I wanted to answer but her phone rang.
It was her mom, asking her to come home. "I'm sorry but I have to leave. Are we seeing each other next Thursday?" I was astonished that May wanted to see me again. "I don't know yet, I think I'm busy next week. But you could maybe give me your phone number, so we can stay in touch. Only if you're okay with it of course." I felt like I took it a step to far and wanted to take back what I just said. But May proved me wrong.
"Yes, I would love that!" She pulled out her phone, created a new contact and I told her my phone number. "Thank you! I'll text you as soon as I get home." She was already starting to walk away slowly. "It was nice to get to know you. See you then!" She said, waving her hand. I smiled at her, raised my hand and said "See you. Bye."
                                                                                    Everything was happening so fast. I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day when I thought about this experience. May texted me already 10 minutes after leaving, I think she was still on her way home then. I felt like the happiest person on earth. If I wasn't at the bookstore, I would've screamed out of pure happiness and excitement.

The next three weeks just strengthened my feelings. We saw each other a few times, not only on Thursdays, we were chatting a lot and even facetimed twice. Our bund was getting stronger by day, and I even felt like she was feeling more than just a friendship.

So did I.