Part 7

It started off by her taking longer to reply to my messages, she didn't answer all my calls like she used to, and we also didn't meet every day, just like we did for the past year.
I noticed it immediately and I was worried, so I tried to talk to her in school. She said that everything was fine, but I realised how bold her answers were. She faked her smile and couldn't look into my eyes. I was thinking that she maybe just was exhausted because of school, so I tried giving her a little more space, but that didn't make it better.
It got worse.
May stopped texting me completely, only answered when I texted her, she didn't go to the bookstore after school with me, because she "had to study". But there was nothing to study for. We finished all class tests being planned and we didn't have a lot of homework to do.
Because of that, I was bored all day. I luckily didn't have any assignments left, but I also didn't meet May anymore. I only saw her in school, of course we spent the breaks together, but she was incredibly quiet all the time, and started to not appear in school after a few weeks.
I felt like I did something wrong, but whenever I tried to talk to her, May just said that she's missing because "her stomach has been messing around, there's nothing wrong with us, she's just very busy at home which makes her tired".
But I felt like something was off.

And she proved me right. 

Two more weeks of May distancing went by and she didn't appear in school even once.
It was January 17th when she texted me.
I was surprised to see her notification, especially because it was only 7am, I was getting ready for school and thought she was still sleeping.
"Hey. Can we meet up in the park after you finished school?" she wrote.
In this moment, I started to feel scared.
I told her that school was going to end at 2pm for me and I could pick her up, so we could go to our favourite café, but she rejected the suggestion and said that she was going to be waiting in the park.

The day took years to find an end, not only because it was Monday, but I was also busy thinking about May and what was going to happen in the park.
"Will she break up? What did I do wrong? Did I hurt her in any way? Did I miss something??" Questions that I had no answer to were preventing my mind from concentrating in class. It was unnecessary to go to school that day, I didn't even know what room I had to go to, nor what my next class was.
After the bell rang for the last time, I jumped up, grabbed my bag which I had not even unpacked, and ran outside. My heart was starting to beat faster, and my stomach hurt out of nervousness and unclarity.     

I arrived at the park and May was the first thing to catch my eyes.
She looked horrible. Dressed in grey sweatpants, her black winter jacket covering a black zip hoodie, she gave me a sadly forced smile. She didn't do her makeup like she usually loved to do that day, her hair was put into a braid.
I was relieved to see her and gave her a smile, but I was also starting to get increasingly worried.
"Heyyy", I said, thinking about kissing her, but I felt a weird aversion towards me.
"Hi. Uhm...", she almost started crying. Before I was able to say anything, May said the words that I feared all day.

"This may come very random now but we... need to stop this. Our relationship.

I'm sorry."