17 - The Gates of Zelen

The first sight of green fell into my soul like sunlight. After the desert and scrublands, the lush valley below was a vision of Paradise. I sat on the rock overlook beside Brygos, grateful that I could take the weight of my water can off my shoulders while we took stock.

"The hard part will be downhill," Brygos observed. He sighed, equal parts relief and fatigue. All of us were cold and everyone tired faster at our new altitude. Even going slowly couldn't completely cure the sickness.

I smiled as a bee droned over to a bright blue wildflower growing between the cracks in the rock. There was something reassuring in knowing that life still continued on despite everything. "I don't envy Argyros and the others with hives."

Brygos chuckled. "Thaïs, what do you think?"

I turned in my seat to look at her. Thaïs paid us no mind, staring down at the valley with wide eyes. I had forgotten that she was a creature of industry and concrete jungle, raised without really setting foot into the countryside. This was a far cry from the cityscape of Seisa or the northern, industrial parts of Astera that had molded her into shape. Taking in the shimmering river, emerald orchards, amber fields, and the blue hue of the mountains all around—it was no wonder awe bloomed across her face like a delicate lily.

"I suppose it is a pretty picture." Brygos handed me his lighter as I fished out the rolling papers and tobacco.

I learned to roll well quickly, as nicotine was a precious resource that I couldn't afford to lose by dumping it all over myself. It could soothe my nerves better than alcohol and was far more enjoyable. I never enjoyed the loss of control that comes with drinking.

Thaïs gave Brygos a withering look. "You suppose it's pretty? It's gorgeous!"

"I promise it is even better up close. My family used to live in Vlástisí before they moved to Helike, a little village on the north end of the valley." My hands moved automatically as I spoke, trapping tobacco into a neat little cylinder. "I was young when we moved, but I still remember the smell of growing things and splashing away in the reeds."

A brief smile flitted across her face. "I have a hard time imagining a little Karsa playing in the river."

I flicked the lighter open and touched the hungry flame to the end of my new creation. In a few moments, I exhaled a stream of blue tobacco smoke. The blend Iakkhos had given me was my favorite, with that hint of vanilla and cardamom filling the air. I didn't answer Thaïs right away. She had only known me as Karsa the revolutionary. Not Karsa the girl, the student, the doting older sister. Despite the sweetness to the tobacco, my lips twisted slightly at the painfully sour thought. My throat tightened as I wished I could play in the river with Endeis one more time. My younger sister's fate hung like a sword by a thread, ready to sever my splintered heart the moment the news dropped.

They would never grant her a reprieve.

Brygos bumped me with his shoulder and pointed down the mountainside. "There are trucks coming up the path."

"They look too small to be military," Thaïs said. "Should we hide?"

I looked around. There were plenty of rock formations around where we could conceal ourselves, but surely they had seen us already. "We should get some people to overlook points and move everything sensitive to cover."

"Naos and the others who went first already made it to the valley floor. They didn't radio back a warning." Brygos rubbed at the back of his neck. "You sure we can't just meet them face to face?"

"Better safe than sorry," I said, levering myself up. "I'll let everyone know. Thaïs, if you can dig out those binoculars, we can keep a better eye on them."