F I V E

August 2022

To be honest, I can't recollect how exactly I exchanged names with that new girl. If I had known she would become someone special to me, I would have noted down those moments word by word.

What I remember is that the five of us woke up late the next day, very late that everything happened in a hurry burry. By everything I mean from getting up to reaching the institution. I don't even remember if I brushed at all coz the van came by 8:25 am and the five of us woke up at 8:15 am.

One of my roommates didn't even bother to change her dress, she just put on a shawl over the top she was already wearing and went straight to have breakfast. She was the least bullying one among them, Kirupa. She was more like on my side. Whenever they teased me I noticed her subtle way of speaking for me. Maybe because she was the last member to join our room and felt sorry for me, when the three of them teamed up against me, or maybe because I helped her do her homework and gave her company when she felt homesick. Anyways I was glad to have someone by my side.

Van was on time just as I finished combing my hair. When I looked at the van through the window, I saw that new girl sitting on the veranda talking to the warden, with a backpack in her hands all set to go, and excitement is written all over her face, probably coz it was her first day at the institute. By the time everybody got in, I went to grab a quick bite of dosa and thakkali chutney coz I needed fuel to keep me going till noon.

I got inside the van aiming for my usual seat which is a window seat, which is a single seat.

I preferred sitting alone cause that helps me do a quick revision of what was taught the previous day and no one would disturb me.

So.. less talk, and more revision.

As soon as I sat down and opened my book someone interrupted me, saying hello and asking me my name. When I turned around I saw, sitting opposite my seat, that new girl giving me a pleasant smile probably waiting for my response.

I smiled and told her my name.

"Mallu..?" she asked.

When I replied with a nod, she was fascinated, probably coz all the people she met till now would have been Tamilians.

"Wow, It's my first time meeting a Mallu girl. I have not been outside Tamil Nadu. But I have watched some Malyalam movies. I know some Malyalam words. Warden aunty taught me some. Teach me some Malyalam when you get time."

"Sure" I nodded, confused with the long intro and the sudden treaty. But the way she said Malayalam was so funny and cute.

"Ohh by the way I forgot to introduce myself, Pragithi, Pragithi Selvam," she said lending her hand.

After staring at it for a millisecond, I shook hands with her, oblivious about the pact I signed up for.

.
.
.

================================

I'm tired of mentioning her "new girl".
I wanted to call her by her real name.
But I can't expose her,
Though she gave me her consent, it wouldn't be right when my identity is hidden.
So I'll go with this name.