Chapter 20: Ancient Stories

Angel: ANSWER THE QUESTION! WHERE IS SHE? WHERE IS YOUR BOSS?

Kake-gao said something in Japanese. But, alas, His weak voice didn't convince Angel, who punched him in the jaw.

Angel: YES, YOU DO KNOW! I'M NOT DUMB.

Kake-gao wasn't even coherent anymore. He was begging for his life in short sentences, but she didn't care.

Angel: you little-

Slash!

She slashed him. I couldn't tell where, but she did. His screams of terror were enough.

It's too much. For my ears and my mind. If I have to hear them one more time, ill end up in an asylum. Walking away from the car, I summoned noise-canceling headphones and put them on.

I didn't need music, though—only silence.

After a few minutes, I sat down on a little rock and closed my eyes. Then, for the first time in a while, I tried to meditate.

Y/N: Calm down. Everything is fine. You survived. Everything is fine. You're not injured. Sally is alive. Everything is fine...

I then broke down into tears. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it's the pressure. It's probably the pressure. And the injuries. And the stress. Every emotion I had to repress last night after visiting Mark crashed down on me at once. Really, I didn't cry for a particular reason. I just wailed because I needed to.

The sounds of pain and the begging for mercy stopped when I stopped. The Judge walked away from the car, sword in her hand. Her brutality and his torment soaked her white clothes in blood. Yet, for once, she didn't look thrilled after doing what I can only describe as her hobby.

Angel: It's done.

Y/N: Did he say anything?

She shook her head.

Angel: He kept begging for his life but never answered my questions. He didn't even try to act tough and say, "I'm never betraying my friends!" or something. I think that's the first time he was in a situation where the good way out did not involve fighting, so he was just lost.

Y/N: Did you...you know.

Angel: Kake-gao is no longer with us.

Y/N: Oh.

Angel: Are you sad?

I didn't reply immediately, still processing her question.

Angel: Listen, I kill out of duty. He's a demon with several war cr-

Y/N: No, wait! It's not because of him. Or It.

Angel: Then, what's wrong?

Y/N: its...something. Everything. Can you leave me alone?

Angel: Sure, buddy, but we'll need to go home as soon as possible, so get in the car.

Y/N: Thanks.

We both entered the vehicle and drove home in silence. I sat at the back to catch some sleep and organize my thoughts.

...

Angel: Wake up.

I slowly opened my eyes and stretched my legs. Without moving, I stared at the ceiling of the car. I slept the entire day, and now it's probably 4 in the morning. I'm going to have a fucked-up sleep schedule now.

Jack was walking towards the car window.

Jack: Hello.

Y/N: Hey.