Chapter 9: Escape

Y/N: Ok, where do we go?

When I saw the first house, I put down Sally, and I slowed my pace for her to stay with me, and we tried to remember if there are any accessible escape routes. After all, what's the point of going fast if you don't know where you're going?

Y/N: Maybe we can see if anyone is awake and wait for the sunlight in their house, or we can go back to our house and...

I stopped talking. Why does everything come back to my old house? I want to leave my past behind, but all the roads lead to Rome, I guess.

Sally: There's no time!

Y/N: Hey!

She was practically dragging me to our house. Surprisingly, we were going faster than I excepted, but in this case, I wasn't pleased with this fact.

Y/N: Wait, can we not go there? Maybe we can find something...

Sally: We're already in front of it! Stop trying to delay the inevitable!

Sure enough, to my disarray, the building of my worst nightmares standing tall in front of me. Seriously, from my point of view, it's way taller than it actually is. How did I forget how close it was to the border of the forest? The car now only belonging to my aunt was in the driveway, waiting for someone to use it. The lights were out, drowning the interior in a disturbing darkness. That oddly reassured me a little bit, maybe because it means that everyone's asleep.

I was going to retort, saying how I would rather die than go back here. I open my mouth and look down. The words can't come out when I felt why we weren't already in the house. Her hand was shaking a lot, like if it was having a seizure. Then, I noticed something else: A single tear slowly rolled down her cheek while drawing a long bright line. Of course, she's in this state. After all, her life was ruined here. She was given a second chance, and from all the places she could've gone to, we came back. I can't be the one to cower in fear here. We're already in front of it anyway. My face gradually went from showing my lack of confidence to a burning determination.

Y/N: We have to hurry. You go upstairs. It'll be safer. Call me if you need help.

Sally: S...Sure.

Closing her eyes, she walked to the door, took taking a few breaths, phased through it, and opened it from the inside. I never saw her use this ability, so I was pretty impressed. I should've figured since she's a ghost.

Y/N: *thought* I don't have time to stall on details like that, or my head won't be connected to my neck ever again.

I went inside and immediately started searching the ground floor for some tool to escape, preferably the keys to my aunt's car. I opened every drawer, door and looked in every corner where it was susceptible to find one. I didn't have time to search for long. I heard a door being opened upstairs. After that, I heard some tingling coming from the room she was in, and I heard Sally silently running towards me. I was about to join her outside, but suddenly, I was pushed on the wall. Air was knocked out of my lungs. While I was trying to catch a breath, a kitchen knife was pressed against my throat. It was my aunt. She had a crazy look in her eyes and was powered with an incredible strength I've never seen before. Her hands were trembling like mines; her straight hair was messy. I guess she woke up when she heard one of us make noise. She had no colors. Did she ever get out of the house? She also lost weight to the point where the skin was hanging from her arms, which made her strength even more concerning. Sally heard my back hit the wall, and she hurried downstairs, not caring about stealth at all.

Aunt: Don't come... Don't come here ever again...You...you ruined... you and your dad...you took Johnny and Sally... from me.

Her lips were purple and quivering. Whatever happened when we weren't here must have left a deep scar. Her behavior scared me more than the rakes we are supposed to run away from. Her facial expressions were all over the place. Sometimes, she would show a malicious, psychopathic smile, and a second after, she would almost wail, and her eyes would get all watery.