Too Much

A/N- Sudden inspiration strikes! 

**********

They said not to do it. It was too dangerous. Too risky. Too unpredictable. 

He knew he shouldn't do it. But he also knew he had to do it. 

It would save them. All of them. 

Merlin looked at the smoke filled sky, tinted with orange from sparks and embers. It was wrong for that sky to cover Camelot.

Everyone who had been lost. They'd all be back. Whole. Happy. 

Merlin's glazed eyes looked over the citadel, littered with the dead. His friends and family among them.

Gwen. Gwaine. Percival. Gaius. His mother. Lancelot. Leon. Elyon. Morgana.  

Only two remained standing. 

Merlin and Arthur. 

But Arthur was fading fast. His wounds would overcome him soon. 

"Merlin don't," Arthur said, clutching his side.

Merlin's pained face softened, he smiled sadly, "I don't have a choice."

"Merlin-"

"I'll be okay," Merlin said, though he didn't believe it, "but more importantly, everyone else will also be okay."

"You will not conjure that spell," Arthur growled, "that's an order."

Merlin smirked, "You know I never listen to you."

With that, his eyes burned a fierce gold as he started incanting. He moved his hands in an intricate manner and golden threads materialized in the air. Merlin separated them and worked with them individually.

The first strand. The past. He found the moments, watched the deaths, changed the patterns, and formed a golden orb.

The second strand. The present. He saw himself and Arthur. He saw him working his magic, Arthur's fear filled face, the city of dead. He changed that too and made it into another orb, floating some distance away from the others.

Then the last strand. The future. Futures that should not exist, would not exist if not for his tampering with time, danced around. He weaved and created the one they needed, forming the last gold ball of magic. 

Past. Present. Future. 

Messing with one was bad enough. 

All three?

Forget about it. 

Merlin could feel his strength draining as he neared the end of his spell. With much effort, he forced the orbs towards the center. It was like trying to push together magnets of the same polarization together, it didn't want to happen. 

But with a final burst of strength, Merlin slammed them all together and a burst of brilliant golden light flooded the land.

Merlin looked to the blue sky and smiled as he felt himself sink towards the ground. The ground that everyone else was now picking themselves up off of. Uninjured, and most importantly, alive. He had done it. 

The sudden light blinded Arthur and it took a moment to regain his bearings. The first thing he was aware of was the bright blue sky. Then he saw confused people he had watched die, get up and shake themselves off. Then he saw Merlin.

His heart stopped as Merlin sank to the ground. 

"Merlin!" Arthur gasped, rushing to his side. 

The familiar cobalt blue eyes found his and a weary smile formed on the man's face.

"Merlin you did it," Arthur whispered, "Now let's get you to Gaius's chambers. He'll fix you up."

Arthur moved to pick up the young warlock, but Merlin laid a hand on him. 

Merlin shook his head, "We both know I'm not going to make it."

"No," Arthur said, "You said you would be alright. That everyone would be alright. You're part of everyone."

A weak chuckle escaped Merlin, "It was just too much this time, Arthur."

Arthur shook his head, "No. No no no. I'll get you to Gaius."

"No," Merlin said, "Just- just lay next to me. Dying man's wish."

Tears escaped Arthur's eyes as he slowly laid next to his friend.

Merlin sighed, "The sky is beautiful."

"Yeah," Arthur choked.

When no response came, Arthur looked into the face of his brother. 

Merlin's unseeing eyes stared at the cloudless sky. Pristine blue as if all was right with the world.

**********

A/N- :) I have nothing to say (: