Chapter 2: The Office Visit

As you and Tom walked nearer towards the admin office, your stomach worsened in its turning condition. You felt as though you might burst and was starting to get nauseous, although you weren't sure whether that was because of the social anxiety or the shitty breakfast you didnt have this morning. Tom rushed forwards and opened the door before you could get there, and stood in the doorway.

"Remember, you're gonna be fine, it's just a conversation and I'll be right next to you the entire time."

"Yes Tom, I know that but you don't have to be here, I'll be fine."

"You can't get me to leave even if you wanted to."

"Who says I don't want you to leave?"

"I do."

"Fucking hell."

"You'll be fine king," he says as he steps to the side. "You got this," he whispers as he pats your arm. You found that both reassuring and annoying because he'd picked up a nasty habit of saying king all the time.

You walked up to the desk and a wrinkly lady with cat eye glasses that had rhinestones embedded in them looked up at you. You sucked in a breath and she blinked expectantly, and slowly like you were interrupting a very serious business call.

"What can I do for you love?" She said in a monotone voice. You cringed as you thought about what you had to say next.

"I've been put in a dormitory with a girl and I was hoping to change that."

For a brief moment her eyes widened in surprise and she spoke again.

"Let's see what I can do for you. What's your name?"

"*deadname*, but I'm transgender so I go by Y/N."

"Okay love, I'll have to search the legal name first."

You nodded your head with slight disappointment. You had written a letter in advance to the school about changing your name on the roster/roll but clearly they hadn't received it yet.

"Says here that you're in the correct dormitory, with a young lady named Hannah, correct?"

"I was put in a dorm with Hannah, yeah."

"Well then there isn't much I can do for you love, unless you want to get a signed letter from your guardians saying it's okay."

"But I'm of legal age, can't I do it myself?"

"It's school policy I'm afraid. For the moment I can change your name on here so it doesn't say *deadname* if you'd like that?"

It always hurt to hear people say that name but you guessed it's necessary in this situation.

"Yeah, thank you. I did send a letter in prior to my arrival at school but I guess it never came."

"Post office are a bunch of d-"

"So I'd like my name to be changed to Y/N please"

"How do you spell that love?"

You spelled out your name for her and she reiterated that you'd need a letter from your guardians to change dorms. You left with Tom feeling strange because something had been accomplished but not the correct thing you wanted to get done.

Another problem arose as you got to the elevator and finally started thinking about how you were going to get a letter from your guardians because they now lived over 13 hours away and were only going to Skype you until Christmas which was still a few months away. You supposed that you could ask them to send it via post but what if the same mix up happened with the previous letter you wrote to the school. You started chewing the inside of your cheek in worry and Tom noticed. He had observed that you'd been quiet on the way back and had elected not to say anything in case you lost your train of thought but now he had to intervene.