a purple flower

You sat in the library, pinching the bridge of your nose with your fingers. These next month is going to be a nightmare, your lovely philosophy professor decided to assign a group project, pairing you with Jean and the infamous Eren Jaeger, just what you needed. 

"Y/n?" Jean's voice called out to you, "Are you feeling okay?" 

Looking up you smile at him, "I'm okay Jean, just a little stressed that's all." Jean nodded at you knowingly, leaving the conversation as it was. 

"Jean," you asked, breaking the silence while looking up from the book you're reading, "Do you, by chance know anything about the Jaeger guy?" 

His eyes narrowed slightly as he searched your face, trying to deduct your question. Furrowing his brow he responded, "I don't really know much about him, we talked a little the first night back." 

Now it was your turn to narrow your eyes in confusion, "You talked to him?" 

"Mhm," Jean hummed in response, "Connie and I went over to Marco's dorm, they're roommates you know," you nod, "Anyways we were just talking in the living area and he came out of his room to get some water or something, I dunno." You nod, sending a glance to urge him on. 

Jean continued, "So he introduced himself and we talked about music for a bit, apparently his mom taught him how to play the guitar and piano, he's cool I guess." 

You avert your eyes from Jean, looking back down at your book, "Cool." 

You enjoyed being around Jean, he knew when and when to not speak and he was very good at respecting boundaries, that's probably why he has so many friends. Closing the book, you stand up, "Are you coming to lunch or no?" 

"I'll join you," he smiled at you, "Let me check where Marco is at." 

The two of you walked towards the courtyard where you met up with Marco; linking arms with the two boys you made your way to the food court. As you set you bag down at one of the older looking tables you watch as Marco and Jean walk over towards the food stands. Diving back into your book, you adventure into the ancient scented pages. Before you're able to turn the page of your book, a voice sounds from above you. 

"Excuse me," you look up meeting the familiar green eyes from before, "Is this seat taken?" 

Clearing your throat you respond, "Not that I know of." You weren't lying either, Jean and Marco had placed their things on your left side and he was gesturing at the place across from you.

Watching as he sits down you take in his features, sharp cheekbones, full lips, long hair; you had to admit, he was quite attractive. 

"What are you reading?" He asks, with pure interest. 

You look up again and smile politely, "The Golden Key, I don't know if you're familiar with the author?" 

Now it's his turn to smile, "George MacDonald," his eyes sparkle, "I used to beg my mum to read it to me when I was little."

Your smile turns from polite to soft as he continues to speak, "You know, I really admired what you had to say during Professor Smith's lecture today."

Looking up, you squint your eyes in confusion, "Thank you. Didn't you choose to disagree though?" 

Eren stares back at you before responding bluntly, "I did, but only for the purpose of reason and sensibility." 

You let out a sarcastic huff and shake your head with slight annoyance, "Reason and sensibility?" 

"Did I say something else?" Eren replies slowly, looking you dead in the eye. 

"No, I was just-" You're cut off before you can finish your sentence.