[Ch3: System Prelude]

"[System]"

This was a phenomenon that appeared in the world shortly after the [Eve of the Cataclysm] almost a century ago.

No one truly knows what it was, or where it came from. Some say it's a representation of the will of the gods. Others felt it was a kind if black technology an almighty alien race wanted to use to enslave them. But one thing was for sure, those who could see it had access to powers seen only in fantasy novel such as this.

People who could see it came to be known as [Awakeners], and after the [System Ascenndance] they became the main force that put up a fight against the fearsome [Monsters] that invaded the world.

Now, the simplest way to describe the system is that it is a kind of 'screen' accessible only to the owners, which showed all their physical, mental, and other capabilities in the form of alphanumerical data known as [Stats] and [Skills]

The Stats are a numeric representation certain attributes an individual's abilities. They include the fundamental stats; [Power], [Speed], [Vitality], [Perception], [Intellect] and [Manna], as well as other supporting stats that can be viewed under certain circumstances.

Don't look down on any stat because they usually have more than one direct effect. A good example is Speed, which includes not only refers to a person's maximum running speed, but also determines other speed related actions such as flxiblity and dexterity, reaction speed and thinking speed, though this correlates with the Intellect stat. It even include mundane activities like writing speed, and how fast you can chop vegetables.

The six stats averaged out determines the [Power Level] of an individual. Power Levels soon became the determinant for social status in the new [Post-System] Society. Without enough power, everything else is useless.

Very soon, it became widely known that the maximum capacity of a regular human is a Power Level of 5.0— and that is just the narrator being optimistic.

Most people don't get past the 4.0 mark just as most people can't achieve up to 70% of their overall potential.

Your average salary man is around 2.9~3.2. A regular high-schooler is around 2.4~2.7. The average  muscle heads may reach 2.9 and the "hot jocks who also gets A+ in school that all the girls are in love with" may even get up to 3.3.

An average fit PE teacher may be around 3.3~3.6; lightweight champions may be around 3.7~3.8 and heavy weight may pass 4.1. The last "strongest man in the world" was 4.4.

Not everyone of the same Power Level are equal as almost everyone has something known as a [Focus], which refers to their most important Stats.

A person who is an athlete, a runner for example may have their Focus in Speed while a "shot putter" would obviously have their Focus in Strength. The jocks usually don't have a focus in life though.

The first three stats are the informally known as  [Physical stats] and they have an upper limit of 7 Points, for Regulars that is. The last three are also called [Spirituality Stats] and they are a bit more special. They have an upper limit of three points, yet for some reason, they don't  exceed two points almost universally, with an exception of Intellect.

Then there are unique stats, substats, variable stats, mastery and proficiency, and other information that can be found in the [System].

Now the reason why we have been seeing all that long boring explanation filled with jealousy towards those hot jocks is to emphasise Nick's weakness.

You're probably wondering why he is considered 'weak', well his [P-Lv.] was over 70 Points before he "died".

His case is the perfect example of "Only knowing you've been high when you're feeling low"