Prologue

The sky was a distinct and calming shade of purple as the sun set. A gorgeous evening for a picnic, and not surprisingly a couple sat on a blanket near a small pond munching on fruits engaged in conversation while their carefree daughter played not far away. 

It didn't take long for the young child to bolt to her parents, bubbling with such obvious excitement, you could spot it a mile away. 

"Mom! Dad!" She called out, bouncing up and down when she reached her parents. Her mother let out an airy laugh, as the child's animated personality was one of the greatest joys in her life. Light reflected off the hairpiece she wore everyday, reflecting onto the child. It was here that the child noted that her mother's laugh was like music. A song she could never get sick of. 

The child's father beamed at his wife and child, and though the bags under his eyes revealed late nights working, and days without sleep, he couldn't help but be thankful for his family. He knew he would do anything for his family, and on a perfect evening like this one, spent with his family, he was flooded with joy. 

"I have to show you guys something!" The child blurted out, her excitement bubbling over. 

"Show us!" Her father didn't think his smile could get any bigger, but it somehow did and he clapped, encouraging his daughter to reveal her surprise. His wife joined in, and they both clapped together, earning a grin from their daughter. 

The young girl nodded and put her hand out. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, before opening them and a small flame ignited in her hand. 

Her parents gasped in surprise, before they both smiled again, delighted to see their child's newfound ability. 

Her father was more excited than her mother, as he had long dreamed of training his children, and bonding over their shared ability. He embraced his daughter and lifted her up, before setting her back down again. 

"My little firebender," he said, earning a little giggle from his daughter, and an amused, knowing smile from his wife, who had known about his dream since their wedding day. 

The child ran off again, this time letting out blasts of fire aimlessly, overjoyed with her new skill. 

Her mother furrowed her brow watching the child and turned to her husband, "That's a lot of fire..."

"Yeah," he grinned, "Isn't it great?! She's already so powerful. She's gonna grow up to be so strong."

"That's not what I m-"

Before she could finish her sentence a tree, not 3 feet away from the child, was set ablaze. The child screamed and her parents started to run to her. Before they could reach her, however, the child instinctively put her hands out, and the water from the pond flooded the tree, dousing the fire. 

Her parents stared at the child in awe, as she looked back at them, pure confusion on her face. 

"How?" Her father said out loud, "She's a firebender. How can she be both? Is she... the Ava-"

"Don't be stupid," his wife chided, "She would have had to be an air nomad to be the Avatar."

"Right," he grinned sheepishly, "I was joking."

"My parents were waterbenders, somehow both the firebender gene from you, and my waterbending genes must have carried through onto her," she mused, "fascinating."

The man's face suddenly looked very serious, "Ozai can never know."

"Your best friend Ozai?"

He nodded. 

"Good," she picked up their daughter and started walking, "I'm glad we're on the same page about that lunatic."

He laughed, "Darling-"

She playfully glared at him, "You know I'm right," her face was serious again, "But we are in agreement?"

"Yes. No one can ever know that (Y/N) can waterbend."