Chapter Seven: The Blue Spirit

"(Y/N)," Zuko swung his swords through the air, "What do you think?"

I clapped, "You're amazing!"

He grinned and put down the swords, sitting down next to me, "Master Piandao is just a good teacher, I'm not that good."

I shook my head, "No, you're seriously amazing," I put a hand on his shoulder, noticing how he relaxed into my touch. 

"Thank you, (Y/N)." 

Following a storm, Sokka had fallen violently ill, forcing us to set camp in the ruins of a building. 

"This should bring your fever down," Katara said, pressing a wet rag to Sokka's forehead. 

"I can try to heal him," I offered, "But, it's kind of hard for me to heal when I don't see a physical source."

"You know what I love about Appa the most? His sense of humor," Sokka said.

"That's nice. I'll tell him," Katara said to Sokka before turning to me, "Heal him?"

"You know," I said, "With waterbending."

"Will you teach me?" Katara asked.

I nodded.

Just then, Appa let out a growl, causing Sokka to laugh, "Classic Appa."

"How's Sokka doing?" Aang asked. 

"He's talking to Appa," I whispered. 

"Not so good, being out in that storm really did a number on him," Katara said. 

Sokka started to sniffle. 

"I couldn't find any ginger root for the tea. But I found a map. There's an herbalist institute on top of that mountain. We could probably find a cure for Sokka there," Aang said.

"Aang, he's in no condition for travel. Sokka just needs more rest. I'm sure he'll be better by tomorrow," Katara started to cough, causing me to jump back.

"Not you too!" Aang yelled. 

"Relax, it was just a little cough. I'm fi-" she went into a coughing fit. 

Aang and I started to back away. 

"That's how Sokka started yesterday. Now look at him! He thinks he's an earthbender!"

"Take that, you rock," Sokka said deliriously, flailing his arms around.

I covered my nose and mouth with my arm, "Aang's right."

"A few more hours and you'll be talking nonsense, too. I'm going to go find some medicine!"

"I'm coming too," I said, "If this is contagious, I think it's safer that the two healthy people get the medicine and bring it back as quick as possible."

Lightning flashed in the background.

Aang nodded, "Let's go."

***

Aang burst into the herbalist institute, "Hello, I'm sorry to barge in like this, but I need some medicine for our friends, they have fevers and they were coughing-" 

"Settle down, young man. Your friends are going to be fine," The old herbalist woman said, "I've been up here for over forty years you know, used to be others, but they all left years ago," she bent to pet  her cat, "Now it's just me and Miyuki."

"That's nice," Aang said.

"Wounded Earth Kingdom troops still come by now and again, brave boys, and thanks to my remedies they always leave in better shape they when they arrive."