Chapter Two : Banishment

Zuko panicked. I could tell he panicked.

"Please Father, I only had the Fire Nations' best interests at heart! I'm sorry I spoke out of turn!" He pleaded.

But I knew it was futile. It was like pleading with the devil. No, he might have had more luck with the devil.

I felt my heart race in fear for Zuko as Ozai's chilling voice filled the room, "You will fight for your honor."

I told myself that Ozai wouldn't hurt his son. I told myself that even if he was tough on Zuko, he was still his father. But I knew I was wrong. After all, this had been my home for the past two years. I knew what Ozai was like, and this was when I finally understood my mother's disdain for the man. Understood why my father had kept me away.

Zuko had dropped to his knees, his desperation was clear, "I meant you no disrespect. I'm your loyal son."

My heart ached for Zuko. I knew all he wanted was his father's acknowledgment. I knew he wouldn't fight him.

"Rise and fight, Prince Zuko."

"I won't fight you," Zuko replied, his head still pressed to the ground.

"You will learn respect," his father bellowed, "And suffering will be your teacher."

Tears streamed down Zuko's face, and I felt my eyes start to water a bit too. I had to do something, but before I could even think of my options I watched as a scarily perfect stream of fire shot from Ozai's hand and hit Zuko in the face.

Zuko's screams echoed in my mind, and I knew it would haunt my nightmares for years to come.

Ozai lifted his hand again, and I watched fire build in his palm. This time, I acted on instinct. I could hear my heart pounding through my chest, and my blood rushing in my ears. My hand lifted and the water vapor in the air turned to water droplets, which came together to form a large bubble of water, smothering the flames of Ozai's second blast.

Suddenly, the world was clear again, and the gravity of what I had just done began to sink in. I looked around to see Azula looking at me, surprised. Iroh's eyes widened, and I noticed a hint of fear in them. As I turned to meet Ozai's eyes, I realized that Iroh's fear wasn't directed at me, rather it was for me. Ozai's anger was clear as he glared down at me as if I was a puny insect he was about to squash.

"Clear the room," Ozai boomed.

Everyone scurried out, leaving Azula, Zuko, Ozai, and me.

I refused to look at Zuko.

Azula's shock had faded and was replaced with antipathy. She leaned close to me, bringing her lips to my ear, "Looks like poor little Zuzu won't be the only one leaving here burned."

I refused to let myself be ridiculed by this arrogant little girl. I opened my mouth to shoot back, but before I could, Ozai looked at his most prized possession, "You too, Azula."

"But, father-"

"Now."

She glared at me one more time before promptly leaving the room.

Now, Ozai's full attention was on me.

"(Y/N)."

Before I could address him, he started yelling, "You had nothing. Your parents died, and I took you under my wing. I gave you a chance. And this is how you repay me? Leaving out a crucial bit of information. I knew something was off with your idiot father when he refused to ever bring you here."

I wanted to protest. I didn't like him talking about my father. But I knew my place. I knew I was in no position to speak. Not if I wanted to live.

"I thought he was just embarrassed to have a child with the tainted blood of her stupid Water Tribe mother."

I gritted my teeth and glared up at the Fire Lord, my fists balled up so tightly at my side, that I could feel my nails breaking my skin.

"You and my son are a disgrace, and you will live in disgrace together," now he turned to Zuko, while I stared straight ahead, "By refusing to fight, you have shown shameful weakness. This weakness must be punished."

I wanted to say "You've already punished him!" But I knew better.

"You and the half Water Tribe scum are banished. If you want to return with your honor, bring me back the Avatar."

"The Avatar?" I said incredulously, "He's been gone for nearly 100 years! You can't be serious."

"Silence. Both of you leave my sight, and stay out of it until you've delivered me the Avatar."

☯☯☯

Zuko sat on my bed as I tried to tend to his eye. The healing abilities that came with my waterbending were severely underdeveloped. I had trained in secret, or with my mother, for years, but never had I attempted to hone my healing abilities.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, "I can ease the pain, but you'll be left with a permanent scar."

"That's fine," he said. There was something hollow about his voice. I knew he was in an incredible amount of pain, but not physically.

I continued to tend to his eye, and we sat there in silence.

"You can waterbend," Zuko broke the silence.

"I can," I replied, focusing on healing, refusing to make eye contact.

"You never told me."

"I-"

"Didn't you trust me?"

"I did- I do!" I sighed, "I wanted to tell you, but I promised my parents I would take this secret to my grave. I couldn't tell you. I couldn't tell anyone."

"I understand," I knew he was just saying that. I knew keeping the secret from him hurt his feelings.

I looked around the room to make sure I didn't forget to pack anything. After all, I was officially banished.

"Your hair is messed up," Zuko said.

"Hm?"

He got up and grabbed my hairpiece, which was already falling out of my hair, "Turn around, I'll fix it for you."

I nodded and complied. Zuko's hands felt gentle as he did my hair for me. It reminded me of the first real talk we had. It reminded me why I considered him my best friend.

It also reminded me of the little schoolgirl crush I had developed on him over the past two years.

"(Y/N)?"

"Yes?"

"Will you stand with me?"

I turned around, making eye contact for what felt like the first time in a long time, "Always."

I saw a tiny glimmer of hope in his eyes. He looked as though he was about to say something when the door opened, revealing Iroh.

I jumped away from Zuko and looked at my favorite adult, "Iroh!"

He smiled at me warmly, "The ship and crew are ready."

"You look like you're going somewhere."

"I am. I'm coming with you two."

"Uncle!" Zuko exclaimed.

"Iroh, we can't ask you to do that. This isn't your burden."

"I lost my son not long before you arrived at this palace. I can't lose my consolations too."

I felt my eyes start to water, and I nodded.

I guess it was time for a witch hunt.