I am, aren't I? [part 2]

"Of course," James says.

"Can you go to Eric's room and tell him I'll be out to the day?" The prisoner nods. "Thanks. He's across to the right. If he asks why, just tell him he can see me for an explanation." The prisoner smiles this time, turning on his heels to go to the door. The air that trickles in from outside the opening door sends in a chill.

Now that he's alone, the captain can finally think; the prisoner is a constant distraction, pulling his mind into far too many directions of comfort. But with James running an errand, Sage is free to evaluate his current situation. And quickly, he realizes that thoughts must move to actions.

A true captain must act—act despite himself for the greater good of their crew, even if it's just one man. One man who the captain feels for after just three weeks and stronger than he has ever felt before. The captain was offered a choice: to take the prisoner on-board or to leave him to die. At that point, that is all it was. A simple decision. One that could be solved by a flip of a coin. Now, it seems to be much more complex. More intricate. More intimate.

Yet, it was the captain's decision then, and it's the captain's decision now. This isn't fate. This is just a choice. And despite how all parts of his body, except his brain, beg for the captain to rethink his decision, the captain stays firm. A true captain knows that they must listen to their brain, not their heart. So, the captain made a decision right then and there, despite how badly it hurt. Despite how pained the ending will be. Because he's not making the decision for his own good. It's for the prisoner's. As much as he tries to deny it, the captain would do anything for him. Do anything for the good of the man he met three weeks ago, who taught him new feelings, painted a life's work with a single world, and illuminated what seemed to be dark forever.

At least, he thinks it's for the good of that man. The man himself might have other thoughts if he heard what the captain had decided upon once he walked back into the room.

"He was still half-asleep when I walked in," the prisoner says, walking back to the bookshelf he was at a few minutes ago.

"Not surprising. Most of the crew's gonna be out today," Sage says, finally able to sit up on his elbows. The major motivation in the action was so he could see the prisoner better. It worked.

"Does this usually happen after a party like last night?" the prisoner asks, his footsteps on the hardwood floor like raindrops during a drought. Sage laughs, a low rumble bouncing off the walls of the room.

"Always, even worse though after somebody dies."

"You're saying it's common for people to die at parties?" James says, turning on his heels to face the captain. This time, the captain doesn't put the effort into looking away. How much time does he have left to look at this man? How many more moments can he pocket that will last a lifetime?

"We're pirates. It's common for people to die in general," the captain says. The prisoner just shrugs, turning back around to the bookshelf.

"Did you need any other help today?" James continues after a beat of silence, letting the words travel over his shoulder and fall into the captain's lap. "I don't have much to do, as always."

"Thank you, James, but the majority of my work is done 'till we reach land."

"Oh, Donierlo, I almost forgot," he says, going back to trace the outlines of the books. "I heard about the island back home. What do you do there?"

"Reloading on food and water and other supplies is the main goal. The good thing is it's an island for pirates, specifically the ones I get along with." The captain pauses. "Which makes me wonder about how you even knew it existed."