First Day P2

The alarm went off with a harsh buzzing noise that quickly pierced Wirt’s skull. He let out a long sigh and rolled over, clearly not ready to get out of bed. He was wrapped up like a burrito in the warm blankets, and it was so comfortable that it felt as if he could sleep there forever. He didn’t want to go to school. There would be a lot of people and noise… Not to mention Sara. The mere thought of seeing her face again made Wirt cringe.
    But his clock was screaming mercilessly at him. It was too loud, much too loud. After a few minutes of trying to ignore it he found that he was getting a headache. With a reluctant sigh he slid out of bed, his hair a tangled mess upon his head. He yawned and walked over to it, turning it off with no trace of gentleness. It was just another great idea of his; putting the alarm clock across the room so that he would be forced to get up in order to turn it off. He turned and glanced at his bed, tempted to crawl back under the blankets and go back to sleep.
    In a display of sheer willpower he refused the urge and went to his closet. The light was already on inside. Wirt always turned the closet light on and left the door open a crack so that he wouldn’t have to sleep in total darkness. It was not a nightlight. He just didn’t like the dark, okay? It was perfectly normal to leave a light on. It kept the darkness away, which he’d feared ever since...
    He picked out an outfit for the day – a red and white t-shirt with jeans. He slung the clothes over his right shoulder and staggered towards the bathroom. His steps were clumsy and misplaced, he was too groggy to even walk correctly. He opened the door and flipped on the light, squinting in the sudden illumination. Going from the dim lighting of his room to the bright iridescence of the bathroom was a difficult adjustment. But he forced himself to deal with it, closing the door and locking it behind him.
    A hot shower was enough to wake him up sufficiently. The warm water was a much softer awakening than his alarm clock. Within minutes Wirt was relaxed and fully awake. He lathered shampoo into his hair, then rinsed it out and washed his face. It was quite refreshing, actually. After he was done he turned the water off and began to dry himself.
    As soon as he was dry and dressed he left the bathroom, steam bellowing from the door behind him. The one good thing about waking up earlier than everyone else was that he could have as much hot water he wanted. His parents weren’t even awake yet, which was how he enjoyed it. He really, really didn’t like dealing with his stepdad this early in the morning. 
    Wirt walked to the kitchen and threw some bread in the toaster. He put some water in in the kettle (thankfully Greg wasn’t wearing it at the moment) and set it over the lit stove. He leaned against the counter and sighed, thinking about the day that laid ahead. 
    Today he would have to engage in social interaction. He had been able to withdraw into his room for the majority of days for the past few weeks. Everything had changed after Sara rejected him outside of Rough Riders that day.
    No, everything changed after-
    He diverted his thoughts once again, distracting himself to keep from thinking about it. He’d been avoiding it for almost a year now, and he was perfectly fine with that. For now he was going to ignore the fact that autumn was practically upon him, and continue with his life like everything was as usual.
    Wirt busied himself by making lunch for Greg. A while back he would never had done such a thing, but recently he had grown close to his little brother. He used to be indifferent, but now he was… Well, quite protective of him. After he had finished packing the kid’s lunch he took the kettle off the stove and poured himself a cup of tea. He then got the toast out of the toaster and began to eat it, drinking tea as he did so.
    Within a few more minutes the house came alive. Wirt’s mom woke up, and she awoke Greg. Wirt listened as his mother lured the boy out of bed and took him downstairs. He smiled softly as his bleary-eyed brother stumbled down into the living room. Greg was even more clumsy than usual, his movements slowed from fatigue. Even he wasn’t a morning person.
    "Good morning.” Wirt said in a calm manner.
    “Mornin’...” Greg yawned, “What day is it….?” 
    Wirt raised a brow. “Monday. It’s Monday, Greg.”
    “Oh, the first day of school!” Greg quickly brightened up and took off in a hurry to get dressed. Wirt was surprised by his sudden haste, but he supposed that his natural enthusiasm couldn’t be held back for long.
    Within an hour their mother had them all ready for school and was practically pushing them out the door. She was terrified that they’d be late, and insisted that they show up at least thirty minutes early. Wirt sighed and dug his thumbs into the straps of his backpack as he began to walk. Greg tailed a few steps behind him, humming a happy tune once again. 
    Wirt glanced across the street to see the house that had recently been bought. He wasn’t sure who lived there, but it was strange to see it occupied. That fixer-upper had been vacant for as long as he had lived there. 
    “So Wirt, are you gonna talk to Sara today?” Greg asked curiously. 
    Wirt sighed. He was still trying to forget about the whole ordeal, but Greg wouldn’t shut up about it. “No, I am not. Things would be totally awkward.”
    “So? I thought she said she wanted to be friends!” The brown-haired boy pressed, clearly not understanding the concept of the friend zone. 
    “Don’t remind me.” Wirt muttered, dropping his gaze to the ground. It still hurt, a lot. He knew that Greg was just trying to help, but he was making things worse. 
    "Aw… Are you okay Wirt?” Greg said, sounding almost apologetic.
    “Yeah.. I’ll be fine.” Wirt responded as they neared the campus. He glanced up as they passed a large sign that said, ‘Aberdale Elementary School’. Glancing over to the left, he saw the large brick building with young kids going into it. Wirt handed Greg his lunchbox and said, “Here. Have fun.”
    “Thanks Wirt!” Greg exclaimed as he took his lunch, “I will!” Then he took off with his stubby little legs, disappearing inside the school within seconds.