Recollection

The second day ran much more smoothly than the first. You woke up on your own, beating out your phone’s alarm. You took a shower and got dressed before eating breakfast. Something was just better about today. You weren’t as groggy as usual, and you were actually looking forward to going to school. Now that you had an idea of what to expect, it wasn’t near as intimidating. You had managed to make two friends yesterday – Jason and Sara. Wirt was there too, so it wasn’t like you were completely alone.
    When you opened the door to leave you saw a note attached to the outside. Plucking the piece of paper from the door, you held it closer so it’ would be easier to read the sloppy cursive writing.
   Sorry I couldn’t see you off to your second day of school. Or your first one, for that matter! Make the most of it anyway, and have fun! –Dad
    You smiled slightly as you folded the note up and placed it in your pocket. He only left you notes half the time, when he remembered to or when he was happy. Today was definitely starting off as a good day. You began to walk down the sidewalk, casting a glance over to the house across the street. It was still strange to see Wirt and Greg living in your old house, but you were growing more comfortable with it. They seemed like nice people, and were putting it to good use.
    But there was still something oddly familiar about them. You couldn’t shake the feeling that you’ve seen Wirt somewhere before. It probably wasn’t anything significant, but it still irritated you. It was right on the tip of your tongue, yet you just couldn’t grasp it. You contemplated it as you walked to school, but you were forced to drop your train of thought upon entering the building.
    As it turns out, walking through the halls wasn’t as difficult as it seemed. Earlier you’d had to carefully time your exit so as to not block the flow of traffic, but this go around you simply strayed towards the right side of the hallway, where your class was. It was simple enough to go along with the mindless movements of the students on their way, and when you reached the correct room it was a smooth and easy transition. You went to your desk and dropped your things with a slight smile. Sitting cross-legged, you waited for the other students to show up.
    Jason was there within minutes. He walked to his own desk and sat in front of you, turning and smiling a bit shyly. “Morning, (y/n).” He greeted, more cautious now that he was over his rush of surprise from yesterday.
    “Morning, Jason. What’s up?” You eyed the door, wishing that Mr. Charleston would be late again so that you could keep visiting.
    “Nothing really. What’s up with you?” Jason said as he began to grow more comfortable.
    “Same here.” You said, glancing over at him. He was wearing a dark red shirt that contrasted with his eyes. It was kind of a good look on him.
    Mr. Charleston walked into class sooner than you had hoped, and quieted everyone down. He began that day’s lesson, which was over the simplest rules in the English language, such as capitalization. He didn’t seem to have any intent on making anyone do paperwork that day, so you tuned out for half the class.
    You began to glance around the room, actually reading the posters that hung on the walls. As your eyes swept the room they met with Wirt’s, who had apparently been staring at you. For a brief moment eye contact was made, but he quickly looked away. You studied him for a few seconds afterwards, trying to figure out what it was about him that you were supposed to remember. But you gave up and looked away so you wouldn’t look like a creep.
    Wirt was the first out of class when the bell rang. You stood and threw your backpack over one shoulder and walked out at a much slower pace, continuing to ponder over memories that were too faint to recall.

    At lunch you sat at a table with Sara, and some people that she introduced you to. There was Travis, a guy who was way too into comic books for his own good, Clara, a bespectacled girl that held great intelligence, and Victor, a blonde guy who was too busy cross stitching and humming to himself to notice much of anything; and definitely isn’t an author insert. They were kind enough to integrate you into their table, which was interesting to say the least.
    “-and when a star explodes in such a manner, the force is strong enough to fuse elements with others to create an entirely new substance. Several elements that make up the human body are regarded to be the results of supernovas. Therefore, we are all made of star dust!” Clara finished her miniature lecture with a grin on her face.
    "Wow, that's amazing..." Sara murmured, having been completely engrossed in the conversation. 
    “Yeah.. So, a bit off topic,” Travis began, “but what are you guys planning to be for Halloween? Are we finally going to coordinate costumes this year? Because I have this great idea, but it’ll take some time to make.”
    “I don’t know,” Clara said, “Things didn’t work out too well costume-wise last year.”
   “Yeah, bluebird.” Travis muttered, staring at her flatly.
    “Shut it, T.V. head.” Clara responded, crossing her arms and huffing.
    “At least you weren’t a skeletal clown last year.” Sara responded as she leaned back in her chair, “Last year sucked, I can’t believe it fell on a Friday. We couldn’t even wear costumes to the football game.”
    “Didn’t you?” You spoke up, looking at Sara. “I thought you're the mascot.”
    “Oh, yeah.” Sara said with a shrug, “I guess that does count.”
     Travis went into a long explanation about his costume ideas, referencing the comic book series it was based off of. You zoned out and stared at your food curiously. The cafeteria made the strangest things. This was supposed to be an attempt at a tamale, but it looked more like poop. You poked it with your plastic spork, – the school was too cheap to buy spoons andforks – half expecting it to come alive.
     “Oh, (y/n), you should come with us!” Sara suddenly said, forcing you to cease pondering the edibility of your food. “There’s this party that our friend throws every year, almost everyone in our class shows up. It’s a lot of fun, you should come.”
     It took you a second to register that it was only your second day here and you were already being invited to a party. But you processed it quickly, and responded, “Yeah, sounds fun. I’ll go.”
    “Perfect!” Travis said, “We needed another tagalong! We can be superheroes from different series-“
    “Or heroines.” Clara interjected.
    “…Or heroines. Together we’d make an awesome crossover team!” Travis finished, grinning widely.
    “….Yeah, okay, I’d go for that.” Sara nodded.
    “Count me in.” Clara agreed.
    The three turned to you expectantly. You hesitated before nodding, saying, “Let’s do it.”
    Victor looked up from his pattern and smiled faintly. “You guys are all so cute.”

    The day went by just as smoothly as you had hoped. None of the classes did work, because even the teachers were hesitant to actually start their jobs. No one was immune from procrastination. At the end of the day you walked outside, quickly meeting up with Greg and Wirt again. The walk home was just as sublime as yesterday’s, with Greg providing all the conversation that was needed. He told you about his three best friends – Sumo, Jeff, and Clarence, and how they’d almost won a vision contest, which was apparently a competition between children based upon who could read an eye chart the quickest.
    You parted as you reached your separate homes, saying your goodbyes in a happy manner. As you walked into your house, you passed through the kitchen. You were about to grab a bottle of water from the fridge when you noticed something.
    A picture of your fourth grade class was hanging up on the door, held in place by a small magnet. You plucked it from its perch and stared at it. Sweeping your gaze up and down the picture, you spotted something that made you remember what you were forgetting.
    Wirt used to go to school with you.