CHAPTER TWO

Corpse wasn't expecting to go out at midnight to hang out with his friends, but he would do anything for Tina and Karl. They were his most loyal friends, and he felt the most comfortable around them.

"Corpse, please," Karl whined, over-exaggerating quite a bit.

"Yeah, Corpse. Please, just come over," Tina begged.

"Okay, okay," Corpse sighed, peeling his covers back and getting out of his comfortable position in bed.

His friends cheered happily, practically squealing into the phone. Corpse groaned.

"Quiet down, guys," Corpse playfully scolded. "You know I won't be there for like, thirty minutes right?"

Karl scoffed. "Put your stupid Tesla on autopilot and you'll be here in twenty."

Corpse laughed, but couldn't think of anything entertaining to say.

He tugged his shoes on quickly before leaving his apartment, his keys in hand.

Tina started to give him hell again, rushing him out the door.

"I'm literally walking out the door now, Tina," he scolded lightly. He locked the door quickly, his hands shaking slightly from the cool chill in the air.

He shook his head to himself, wondering why he even agreed to meet them in the first place. It was midnight, and he had actually considered the possibility of sleeping tonight, but here he was, going to Tina's just to sit and talk with his friends.

He smiled. He wasn't used to having people who truly cared about him, but he would take this any day over having no one at all.

As he turned to descend the stairs, he noticed the woman from the roof in the hall. He could tell it was her from her long black hair, considering she was curled incredibly small on the doormat in front of her apartment.

The laughter of his friends distracted him. He shushed them quickly before hesitantly going over to her.

Corpse crouched down, flinching when his knees popped loudly. "Um.." Corpse tilted his head, hoping to see her better.

The closer he got, the more the woman seemed to tremble. "Are you okay?" Corpse asked softly, trying to be as quiet as possible.

She didn't respond, only started to whimper harshly. Corpse didn't know that she even knew she was making a sound.

He stood, hoping she would eventually figure it out.

There was nothing Corpse could do for her without her responding to him.

-

Corpse returned from Tina's at nearly six in the morning. He was exhausted, but oddly wide awake. His brain was more tired than his body.

He blamed on his lack of social life making him this emotionally exhausted.

His body ached as he climbed the stairs to his apartment building. He avoided using the elevator at all costs, especially because he didn't have much other exercise built into his day.

Finally making it to the top floor, he huffed a few times before heading to his door. With his head down, and eyes unfocused, he barely noticed the ball of the woman still on the doormat.