CHAPTER FOUR

Lila had finally felt well enough to retire to the roof for the afternoon. Justin wouldn't be home until late, and she couldn't help but want to be out in the sun, letting herself feel something warm for once.

Lila often wished Justin would just do the bare minimum. Hug her, maybe. She didn't want a lot, she just wanted her boyfriend to start to care about her.

She wasn't stupid, and she wasn't as brainwashed about some things as she was others. She knew Justin understood the world, and he informed her of all of the bad things people do to women, especially women like her. But Lila couldn't shake the thought that maybe, Justin was simply abusive.

She shook her head at the thought. If Lila had even considered expressing her doubts about relationships to anyone, she would be killed. Justin told her so, and she had learned to not be told twice.

She climbed the stairs to the roof slowly, her knees, back, and hips aching as she moved. She pushed through the pain, swinging the door open quickly, too excited to be alone.

Except she wasn't.

The same man from yesterday was there. Lila considered leaving only for a second before remembering that the man hadn't bothered her. If anything, he had expressed concern for her, and she had ignored him.

It was quite rude of her, she decided.

Shuffling the small rocks with her shoes as she walked, Lila boldly sat next to the man, leaving only a few feet of space between herself and him.

She was much closer now, and could see him eating out of a tupperware bowl. The substance looked good and warm, she noted.

Lila didn't remember to eat often, and she was only allowed to eat when serving Justin the same meal. She didn't recognize how hungry she was until the man silently extended the bowl out to her, without even looking up at her.

She hesitantly accepted the bowl of soup, holding it in her cold hands, the warmth immediately settling within her. As she held the bowl, the man quickly pulled a black mask from his pocket, slipping it around his ears, some of his curls getting looped the straps. Lila realized then that he was probably uncomfortable with her presence.

Before she could stand up to leave, the man took the soup from her hands, whispering a "thank you," before placing the lid back on the bowl and setting it to the side.

"I'm sorry for interrupting you," Lila blurted, before her brain could keep her from talking.

"Oh, you didn't," the man reassured, "I was just finishing up."

Lila could sense his hesitation in speaking to her.

"Um... are you okay?" he finally asked.

"Yes, I am okay," Lila said, a slight tilt of a question in her tone.

"I saw you," he said, then sighed before looking at her. "Outside of your apartment last night, I saw you." His eyebrows were furrowed, then eyes wide at the sight of her bruised face and torn open temple.

"I know," Lila said quietly, nearly whispering, unable to meet his gaze.

"So, are you okay?"

...

"No," she finally whispered.