Chapter 5

A/N: like last time im posting this before my friend could help me go over it but it's also a relatively short chapter more of a filler if you will but never the less i hope you enjoy.

Mark had left the garage at around 3 am in the morning, the house was still and quiet, hinting that (y/n) had most likely already gone to bed. Mark's eyes were red and stinging as he looked around the lavish modern abode, it was warm and inviting, an exact opposite to the cold loneliness of the garage. He ran a hand through his ruffled hair smoothing it out as he walked to the kitchen and began to pull out things to make him a drink. He was no mixologist but anything could do right now even if it tasted like utter crap, he pulled out his ingredients to make a cancion lyrical mint margarita, as he began to pour Lemonade and club soda as well as the alcohol required ,Which was tequila, (y/n) began to stir upstairs feeling the presence of someone for the first time in hours.

Mark finished making his drink and pushed his equipment to the side taking a seat at the bar situated in the middle of his kitchen, he was exhausted from it all, he was mentally drained from the verbal harassment his mother dealt the previous day and he just wanted to forget it and leave all that in that cold dense concrete prison attached to his house. He took a long swig from his drink and put it down with a sigh. He watched with furrowed brows as condensation slid down the glass and the bubbles from the club soda rose dizzily amongst the ice cubes. (y/n) silently watched for a moment, leaning over the staircase rails to get a look at the disheveled man. They felt bad that they didn't do much to prevent what had happened at the winery but they were just too shocked to say anything especially when everything had officially exploded.

Mark looked up at the kitchen wall feeling eyes burning into the back of his head, he grunted and took another swig of his drink. To see him so down and grumpy was shocking considering he was usually so charismatic and bubbly even when he was mad at his employees. (y/n) finished their descent down the stairs stopping a few feet behind him, their bare feet barely making a noise as they hit the cold tile of the kitchen area. "You're up early." piped (y/n) after a moment of silence, Mark didn't turn his head but let his tense shoulders relax a bit at the sound of another voice but he didn't reply and instead went back to looking down at his drink intensely. "You didn't go to sleep, did you?" (y/n) asked their soft voice ringing through Mark's ears as (y/n) made their way to sit beside the gray parrot.
He drew in a deep breath before shaking his head "no I didn't" he replied, his voice was hoarse as if he'd been yelling for hours on end with no water to spare his throat from turning red and raw. (y/n) pressed their lips together in a thin line as they frowned, their head turned to Mark, Mark closed his eyes and let his head rest against the cool countertop releasing that breath he held and letting his shoulders slump even more. It was a pathetic sight and would probably make anyone, even the McDuck family, feel sympathetic for the tech junkie. (y/n) raised their hand and hovered it over Marks back as if hesitating to touch him, but after a brief pause they let their hand rest on his tense back and began to rub his back with sympathy.

Mark was touched but also a bit shocked by this action causing his eyes to open suddenly, he blinked and stared at his glass and then let his pupils find the face of (y/n) who was there with a frown and their brows furrowed upwards to show their consoling gaze. "It seems we both have family issues," (y/n) commented after a moment of silence, This caused Mark to sort of sit up and turn a bit to face (y/n) sliding the drink between them as to let them know he was willing to share the alcoholic beverage that was half empty. "How so?" Mark asked cautiously scanning (y/n)'s face for an sign of discomfort to his question, (y/n) paused rubbing marks back before taking their hand back and setting it in their lap and looking down at the floor their chest heavy as they wracked their brain to put together an explanation. "Well," They began solemnly, "Over the past few nights i've been in contact with my parents, i mainly just wanted to try and get a sense of normalcy back by just talking about our days and all that junk and maybe even invite my old man over to play games like we used to do when i was in highschool and he got time off.". A sad smile was plastered on their face for a second before it fell, "However everytime i tried it ended up being an argument, My father is a little more understanding and less pressuring than my mother though so i can hold a conversation with him and he's civil about his arguments as he's always has been." (y/n) reached over the counter and ran their fingers gently along the rim of the glass, their eyes slowly watering.

But with a small sip from Mark's drink they were able to push the tears back for a little while, "But every time I try to talk to my mother she acts as if i should be grateful that this is happening, and as if my problems or my issues concerning.. All of this is not as valid or as important as putting the company back together." mark was flabbergasted to hear this, from the first time they met (y/n)'s parents always seemed to be supporting and loving of them especially as ashamed as they were to have even agreed to this, "I get that she's stressed and just wants this to all be over so they can get the check in full and not in little bits like it's currently going but i've also had my whole life disrupted, i mean i might not be able to graduate college at the rate their pushing things not only that but i've been forced to move from my home and adapt to this whole new life and soon were getting married??" (y/n) was beginning to sound more and more frustrated with their mother the more they talked about the situation, their fists clenched in front of their chest and the upwards furrow turned downwards changing their expression from one of grief to one of anger and borderline rage.

Mark gently reached forward and grasped their hands to hold so (y/n) didn't have the possibility of making themself bleed from the tight grasp which was now being inflicted onto Mark's hands. (y/n) paused their rant to take a deep breath and exhale it in order to calm down, their grip immediately relaxing and their eyes closed, their brows returning to an upward furrow to re-plaster the look of sorrow across their face. "So yeah, we both have some parental issues it seems." (y/n) looked back up with a sympathetic smile which Mark sooned returned after a soft look of awe passed his face. Mark wished he could share what was going on with him but he's already gone so long without opening up that he was afraid that if he told anyone what he endured for most of his life that he would be judged or even worse ignored completely.

Keeping things in can only make things worse and as much as (y/n) and Mark wanted him to get it off his chest (y/n) didn't want to add onto the pressure and they wouldn't ,for now at least, Mark sighed and just gave a sft squeeze to (y/n')'s hands which he still tenderly held in his lap and smirked slightly "It's at least good to know i'm not alone." he uttered in a hushed tone. A mutual happy smile plastered on both of the birds faces before Mark's was interrupted by a yawn. (y/n) chuckled and stood up helping mark to stand up and lead him to his room. Mark began to get lost in thought as (y/n) guided him around the halls to his room, Initially he thought this was going to be a bad idea. And by that he thought that it was going to be nothing but cold silence every day until the eventual divorce. However now whenever he looked to (y/n) he felt a warmth and a softness spread through his body, it was just nice to have someone to truly connect with, someone he could physically high five and talk with, with not a screen insight. As out of character as it was for him he thought it was oddly nice.

(y/n) gently led him to his bed and let him sit down before (y/n) ultimately, Like the little shit they are, pushed Mark down with a soft giggle. (y/n) began to walk out without a second thought but turned around at the door and whispered a gentle "Goodnight Mark." before shutting the door. Mark took off the dress shirt he had plastered on for the day at the winery as well as kicking off his shoes and pants to the floor before getting situated in bed. He sat in darkness staring at the ceiling, he felt like a teenager in love as his cheeks flushed as visions of going on dates and taking (y/n) to Waddle to keep him company as he worked all danced around in his head. He groaned and covered his face with his arms as his heart hammered in his chest. It was so stupid this was all so sudden it was probably less than a month o two since they met but every day even bad days seemed better, albeit he locked himself in the garage for hours, but he wasnt alone anymore.

In their own room (y/n) was having similar thoughts however they thought it was actually funny at first (y/n) never thought they'd like the egotistical tech junkie but the more they got him off his phone and the more they interacted the closer they grew, Both sat in their rooms mutually hoping the other would open up more whether the topics they talked about were good or bad, It was clear now that neither of them were uninterested anymore, They just hoped that the other picked that up sooner rather than later.