6.

Worldly Functions

Araya

"DID your parents give a specific list of things you need?" Storm asked as we stood in front of the aisle in the foreign section of the grocery store.

"Uh yeah, dad sent a list." I told her.

I took out the folded paper and showed it to her. Storm took the grocery list from me and began looking over it.

Dad had sent us out to pick up some groceries including some things for dinner. Akiya drove us but opted to remain in the car. Daiki had decided to stay home in his room. That left Storm and I in the store to buy everything.

"List is simple enough. We can buy it and then leave. Did your dad give you cash or card?" Storm asked.

"Card. He doesn't really keep cash on him." I answered.

With that we began going through the grocery store collecting all the things that had been listed. Mom had listed off some spices that we needed to restock on. Dad had put certain meats that we'd need and ingredients for some homemade sides and a few boxed sides.

Then came the milk section. We bought lactose free milk along with oat milk. Akiya is the one who likes oat milk, so we buy that for him.

Once we had everything from the dairy section figured out, we moved on.

We moved quickly through the store stocking up on all the things on the list and crossing them out. Once we had everything, we made our way to the line.

"You can get a chocolate bar if you want."

Storm smiled before she grabbed herself one of the KitKat duos bars. We went to the self-check-out and began scanning all the items and bagging them up.

I purchased everything with dad's card before Storm and I rolled the cart out into the parking lot. Akiya had parked at the front of the lot for we wouldn't have a long walking distance.

The trunk unlocked once we arrived and Akiya got out to help us load everything into the trunk. Storm got into the car once Akiya came as the two of us packed everything away.

"Is that everything?" Akiya asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, just got to put the cart back." I told him.

I ran off and put the cart back amongst the rest before getting into the car.

I buckled myself up before taking a deep breath. After I'm done doing groceries, I try to put the cart back where I found it to make it easier on the works.

Akiya drove off as we all settled into the car for the ride home.

***

"And that bag will have all the food for dinner in it." I told mom as I set the last bag down.

"Thank you dear." Mom thanked me.

I left the kitchen just as mom began sorting through the bag. Akiya and Storm had gone off to Akiya's room after they brought the groceries in.

I found Daiki sitting on the couch with a book in hand. He looked up and smiled when he saw me.

"Hey baby." Daiki motioned me over to him.

I came over and sat down next to him.

"I missed you." Daiki told me.

He leaned over and pressed a kiss to my cheek. I smiled at him and leaned over to hug him. Daiki leaned into me before pulling back as he set a bookmark in his book and turned over to me with a smile.