Chapter 1

Claudia knew something was wrong the moment she entered the room. The Rojas were all sitting there smiling at her, which had never happened. Usually it was just do this or do that with a frown or a smirk. They had never exactly been sweet to her. In fact, the nicest thing they had ever done was adopt her. She began to anxiously tap her foot as she waited for whatever was about to happen. She just hoped she wasn't in trouble again. That always ended in pain.

"Claudia, just the person we wanted to see, please sit." Andres Rojas gestured to a chair. She quickly sat down and looked around. It seemed it was just Andres, his wife Valentina, and her. Their five year old Sofia wasn't present. Her gut dropped, if Sofia wasn't there something serious was going on. The thought of being beaten again made her slump and want to cry.

"As you know we have taken care of you and given you everything you have needed through the years-"

That made Claudia want to laugh, but she didn't dare. They had treated her like a slave rather than a family member. She slept in a renovated closet, wore cast offs, and barely got enough food or sleep. She wouldn't call that taking care of. In fact she knew their dogs got more than she did. 

"-well now there is something you can do for us. Something you WILL do for us. We have arranged for you to marry."

"Wait what!? Why-" She was shushed by Valentina, but her anxiety began to spike. She couldn't get married. She began to panic as the thought infiltrated her mind. They couldn't do this. They couldn't be serious. 

"Shut up and listen to your betters perrita." Valentina smiled at her cruelly.

Out came the nickname. It never failed to scare her. It always meant that things were going to get worse. Comparing her to a dog made her feel worthless. Like an it rather than a person. Maybe she was. She hadn't been treated like a person in years. Meanwhile Andres Rojas smiled at his wife before continuing.

"It is an excellent move for our family and will help our Sofia immensely in the ways of finding a husband of her own someday. After all, who doesn't want to be married to someone with connections to the Madrigals?"

The Madrigals? But that meant-

"Alma Madrigal had been searching for a wife for her son. We talked it over at dinner last Saturday and decided you were a perfect match perrita. I'm surprised how easily she took to it. She must have been desperate. Anyways, you're not close enough to the family to bring us shame by marrying an outcast. However, you are close enough to get us easy access to the Madrigals and their gifts, and one day who knows? Maybe we'll get help from your little ones."

Claudia was stunned. "You can't- I...I refuse sir, you just can't-"

Valentina got an evil look on her face that sent shivers down Claudia's spine. "Actually we can. According to the contract, marrying you off is within guidelines. You wouldn't want to break those. What would the town think? It's not like anyone would help you perrita."

Claudia hated that she was right. They had every right to marry her off because of that horrid contract, but the thought of being married for any reason then love...it made her want to cry.

"Now go get ready," Andres ordered, "We have dinner with the Madrigals in an hour. If you mess it up I will beat you within half an inch of your life. Understood, perrita?"

Claudia stood with her gaze at the floor.

"Understood sir."

"Now get out of here."

Claudia nodded her head and then walked out of the room. When she got to the hallway she began to run, and didn't stop until she got to a small room off the kitchen. As soon as the door was closed, she immediately broke down.