Chapter 4

Gardening with the girls was an experience to say the least. Pepa would make tiny storm clouds when she got teased that watered the flowers and plants, and occasionally Julieta. Though it seemed like the cloud always disappeared right before it got over Claudia. She was glad that the others hadn't noticed that fact. She enjoyed gardening, it was peaceful and relaxing. Digging holes and inserting flowers was something she could easily do. There was very little to mess up. She got to know more about the two girls as well.

Pepa kept gushing about her novio Felix. From what Claudia could gather they were really truly in love. It was so sweet to listen to her go on and on about how sweet and kind he was to her. Claudia had wanted something like that, but now she assumed that she would never have it.

Julieta was much more interested in what Claudia had to say. Though when she was pushed she did speak about Augustin a bit. Claudia preferred it when the attention wasn't placed on her. She was always worried she was going to say too much or too little. Unfortunately, Pepa was unaware of her worry over talking.

"So Claudia," Pepa began, "why have we never seen you at any of the town festivals? Or ever in all honesty?"

"Pepa! You can't just- You don't have to answer if you don't want to," Julieta gave her sister a disapproving look.

Claudia shrugged. In reality the Rojas had never let her do anything. She was only sent into the city for the occasional grocery run. They didn't want to be embarrassed by her, and she understood why. What if she broke or messed something else? It was better that she stayed out of sight. So she had gotten good with this answer over the years.

"I guess I'm not very social. I'm not really used to talking or interacting with others."

"Well that's gonna change cause we talk a lot, well except my hermanito. Well he does when you get to know him," Pepa said, "Have you met his little rats yet?"

"Rats?"

"You haven't! He gives them people names. His favorites are Juan Carlos and Maria. He even writes these little telenovelas for them. It took me months of begging for him to show them to me. It's adorable. You should ask him about them. He turns so red!"

"Like how you turn red when someone mentions Felix?" Julieta nudged her sister. 

A small cloud formed over Pepa. 

"That's not fair! Anyways you get excited over Augustin."

"Well you almost faint when Felix calls you mi vida"

"Well you-"

Claudia laughed and the girls turned to her.

"Ohhhhhh Claudia, what about you? You've got to have had boys flirt with you before my brother. What made you blush? Don't worry I won't tell Bruno." The girls advanced. And Claudia backed up.

"Well I-"

BANG

A pot fell and broke.

"Look what you did Claudia," Pepa giggled until she saw Claudia's face, "Claudia?"

Claudia was tensed up and her breathing had increased. She had messed up again and messing up meant bad things. It meant she got in trouble. She always seemed to find trouble. A cloud began to form over Pepa.

"Julieta what's going on? Why is she-"

"Shh, speak quietly and slowly. She's having an anxiety attack. Help me move her to the bench."

They reached out for Claudia, but she flinched back. Pepa's cloud boomed, scaring the girl in front of them.

"I'm sorry, please. I'm sorry."

"We know. It was just an accident. What's wrong? What can we do? What-" Julieta shushed her sister. She understood how to deal with this, though it would be easier if she knew the girl better.

Claudia's eyes began to tear up and she slowly sat down holding her knees. She didn't mean to mess up. It had just happened. It was an accident,  but no one ever believed her when she said that. 

"I didn't mean to. I really didn't. I swear to you ma'am."

"Hey Claudia," Julieta crouched down, "it's ok. It wasn't on purpose. It was just a little accident. Now I need you to do something for me."

"Yes, anything. Just tell me how I can fix it. I'm so sorry. Please don't-"

"I need you to match my breathing. Can you do that?"

Claudia nodded and slowly but surely she calmed down.

"Sorry about that. I just-" she stood up, "-really don't like breaking things."

"I gathered," Pepa still had a cloud over her head, which she quickly tried to shoo away. "Any reason for that?"

"No...n-nothing. Anyways I gotta go unpack so umm bye." And with that Claudia quickly walked away. 

The girls watched her go.

"What was that about?" Pepa asked.

"She clearly has some trauma, and something about that pot breaking brought it up. I say we just let her cool down, kay?"

"I don't like it, but alright hermana."

*****

Bruno had been trying for hours, and still he couldn't get one vision about her. He had learned about his sister's future marriage to Augustin, but couldn't learn what Claudia would do tomorrow. It was unbelievably frustrating. He wasn't sure why it was so hard to make a vision about her.

"What is different about you?" He said as he looked at the green tablet in his hands. It depicted his sister Julieta playing with a little girl with long hair. 

"Hermanito, could we talk to you really quickly?"

"Coming hermanas."

As he walked down the hundreds of stairs he did some thinking. He was married now, but he honestly knew nothing about being married. He didn't even really know anything about his wife, other than the fact that she had a nightmare last night. He resolved to try and change that. After all, if they were going to be living their life together, he might as well know some things about her, like her favorite color.  Maybe then things would go smoother.

"Knock knock knock knock knock, knock on wood."

As he reached the bottom he began to talk until his sisters shushed him.

"Whisper."

"Why are we whispering?"

"It's about Claudia."