Chapter 8

The next day, Pepa was relieved to see Bruno walk down to breakfast with Claudia. The two were chatting about the rat telenovela and seemed closer. She was glad that her brother had been able to talk to someone so casually. He always seemed like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. She loved him, but knew that in all reality he needed more than Julieta and she could provide. If Claudia could provide that, then she was truly happy she had come into their lives. A rainbow slowly bloomed over Pepa as she watched the two talk. 

"Sooooooooo Brunito-"

"Pepa, you're like five minutes older," Bruno interrupted.

"Anyways, what got you out of your tower? Seems like you're getting a bit more friendly. A bit closer perhaps?"

Casita moved Bruno's chair closer to Claudia and the two turned red.

"Oh, we just had a little talk yesterday heh," Claudia avoided eye contact, still bright red and Pepa's rainbow grew brighter. They were really adorable around each other.

"So does that mean you're going to come with us to the grove today Bruno? I'm sure it'll be better than your vision cave." Julieta asked while nudging her sister for embarrassing the two.

"You should really be in the village helping," Alma said disapprovingly, "We have a duty to them, and if we don't fulfill it then we haven't earned our encanto!"

"Mama, I made enough queso that half the village could have some to heal if needed. Pepa needs an emotional break from watering crops, and Bruno has been doing visions for the past four days. Please."

Alma sighed.

"I guess it's acceptable, but only for today. Tomorrow, you are all going to the village to help out. Understood?"

"Understood," copied the rest of the table.

"You'll love the grove Claudia," Pepa said,"Bruno found it a few years back. It's got a little underground oasis with a walkway down. The top is surrounded with flowers, it's just beautiful."

*****

As they walked the two sisters walked ahead leaving Bruno with Claudia. He had to admit he enjoyed being able to chat with her. She actually seemed to listen to him and it meant so much since no one in the village seemed to care about what he had to say. 

"I'm just saying her goldfish was already bleeding and on it's side. Anyone could see it was gonna die, but noooooooooo. Senora Hernandez had decided I'm absolutely evil for telling her."

Claudia giggled.

"She told me you had a hatred towards fish and she was gonna prove it at the wedding."

Bruno shook his head. 

"Aye dios mio. That woman is out to get me. Maybe I should just go get her another fish."

The two laughed.

Claudia was happy, imagine that! She enjoyed spending time with Bruno. He treated her like a person and it made her feel special. Unlike the Rojas he was caring and kind. After yesterday she had sworn to protect him like he had been attempting to protect her. She knew he would never have a vision related to her, and therefore never be able to see her future, but she couldn't tell him that. The Rojas had found out, and they treated her terribly. No, it must remain unsaid.

Eventually they made it to a little clearing full of flowers, and a small oasis sunk down into the earth in the middle of it all. There were birds tweeting and the flowers made the place smell heavenly. The sun shone down and the entire place was bathed in its light. It was one of the prettiest sights Claudia had ever seen.