Chapter 21: Screams of the Night

A scream broke through the silence of the night, raising the hackles of each and every palace guard who was on the verge of dozing off to boredom.

As they unsheathed their long swords, the scream turned to feminine giggles mixed with the patter of swift footsteps—two sets of footsteps, to be exact.

"Get back here!"

It was the figure of a young maid who appeared first, racing through the halls and headed directly for the grand staircase.

The guards posted by the stairs reacted just in time, blocking her path with their swords before she was able to place one foot on the first step. "State your business."

Instead of answering, she tried to duck under the swords in an attempt to breach security, only to be shoved back by the diligent guards. "Let me through!" she demanded with her hands on her hips.

That was when the owner of the second set of footsteps strode in with hearty laughter. "Too late, Cassie."

With eyes near-bulging out of their sockets, the guards watched as their king—hair mussed and shirtless—lunged for the girl, who screamed again as his arms closed around her torso from behind, locking her arms in too.

"Your damn guards! This is cheating!" she complained as she struggled uselessly against his clutches.

"I'm a king. I can cheat if I want to," he gloated with a smirk by her ear, then looked up at the guards who'd frozen in place as they processed the scene before them. "Stand aside," he ordered in his clipped, authoritative, kingly-asshole voice.

The men stepped back, and Dane bent down to heave Cassie up into his arms. Ignoring her protests and playful slaps at his chest, he carried her, bridal style, his strides powerful as he took them up towards the upper floor that housed the private chambers of the royal family.

Behind them, the bewildered gazes of the guards trailed after them as they struggled to recall the last time any of them had seen their king behave as a young lad lively at heart and smitten over a discourteous maidservant.

Halfway up the grand staircase, with her arms wrapped around Dane's neck, Cassie chided, "That's not very nice."

"What's not nice is you ripping my shirt up then going for my breeches too."

What she wouldn't have paid to see Dane run through the halls of his own palace completely butt-naked. Unfortunately, his woollen breeches were too well-made to be shredded by her nails; too bad they weren't made in China. "You choked me."

"You liked it."

She giggled as her cheeks bloomed crimson. True, he'd fucked her well and hard, and every squeeze of her throat had her pulsing against his length, eventually reducing her to a puddle of trembling mess before he found his own release.

As physically satisfying as it was, she decided she had to enact some form of revenge on him for turning her so embarrassingly wanton. While he rested on the floor in post-coital bliss, she dressed herself and tore into his soft silken shirt, leaving it a tattered mess in the courtyard. Much to her chagrin, he managed to save his breeches from her claws, and thence commenced a cat-and-mouse chase through the palace halls.

Yet in spite of their play-fighting and bickering, it was obvious to the both of them that they enjoyed the company of the other. Tilting her head up in his arms, Cassie peppered light kisses along his jaw, his neck, and up and down the column of his throat.

"Cassie," he warned on a low growl.

"Mm?" She nuzzled into him and her tongue darted out to lick the skin at the base of his throat. He stiffened immediately.

Bride to the Cursed: a Snow White retellingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें