1. Vast darkness

2 months later.

"How is she?"

"Pretty good, considering what she have been through. Her recovery is remarkable."

"Yes, Remarkable it is."

"She's a very strong young woman. Her body seems very physically fit and muscular. It's helping her recover."

Darkness.

There is still darkness, but I can hear the voices. They sound soo far away, muffled, like they are talking into a thick padded barrel. A man and a woman. The man sounds anxious, his voice low and husky, while the woman talks calmly, almost dutifully, with a soft female tone.

Why this vast darkness?

"I will go and get doctor Roberts. He will fill you in on everything and give you some answers."

"No! Please. . .that's not necessary. Just let us know if there is any progress, Okay?"

"Sure, I will do that, mr . . ?"

"Reese."

"Mr Reese. Yes, we will keep you informed."

"Thank you."

More muffled sounds and the opening of a door. The screeching from it feels like stabbing a knife in my ears. Then everything becomes quiet. Aww, the serene and tranquil silence.

I can feel my heart rate calming a little, then a paralyzing thought hits me smack across my face in my own personal darkness.

Where the heck am I?

Then, as on cue, the vast and velvet blackness I temporary dwell in claimes me all over again.

~ ~ ~ ~

A hand slightly touches my arm, it's just a soft touch, but enough to make my consciousness stir and awaken. My ears becomes highly alert and notes the sound of the door closing again. Silence.

Slowly I open my eyes.

Bright light floods my limited view, and I almost immediately close them again. My eyes hurt.

Then as I allow myself to do a mental check upon my body, I realize that almost my whole damned body hurts.

What the hell?

I force my eyes open once again. My fatigued gaze falls upon a table a few feet away. It is crowded with flowers. Why?

Feeling an oncoming panic spreading in my body I lay paralyzed, blinking my eyes. Fuck! This is a hospital room.

Why am I here?

Then fear takes a steady grip around my throat and squeezes tightly, almost laughing at me, at the panic in my breathing. I have no idea.

I try and raise my hand, it hurts, but I manage. Slowly lifting it into the view of my clouded eyes, I gasp as I see all the needles and tubes that are attached to it. Dang. My lips part slightly as I gasp once again through them.

My eyes dart back and forth in the room, and right now my heart rate is topping the scale.

Then suddenly the door opens and a young woman enters. I can tell by her clothing that she is a nurse of some kind. Her red hair is tucked neatly in a bun at the back of her head and her make up is flawless and with perfection applied to her beautiful face. As she turns her head at me, her face splits in a wide and just utterly stunning smile.

"Aww. Finally. You are awake."

She rushes to my side and slowly lower my hand down again on the bed.