8: Deflated Eyesight

She didn't know what she had just done or could she believe it all. Did she just sign the paper that said she was Hammad's wife and she saved his life? She had told the nurse that she would go back home, after they had rushed him into the theatre room. The thought now made her laugh. Why? She thought this hospital didn't treat patients until payment was done? Wasn't it just few hours ago Kulthum's mother was on the verge of death, and it was obvious they had spent days, if not months, here with her? But for the money, she was given hours to live or die.

And here, the son of a billionaire was brought, too, at the verge of death and he was swiftly taken to the theatre room. And even though his 'supposed' wife was there, she wasn't asked to make a payment, yet. She was asked to just sign, as they couldn't afford to be sued because if things went wrong and he ended up dying, they had been given the full permission to.

She saw Aisha sleeping on the floor under her head tie and when she walked toward Kulthum and her son, Rasheed, she heard them talking. "I've tried all I could, Iyami, but I couldn't get the money. I worked so hard for the last month that I even missed my lectures, but I wasn't able to raise much money. And half of it was used for Iya Agba's hospital fees."

Kulthum cut him off, "I can't afford to have you drop out from the university, Rasheed. You just started last year, you're going to be done with your level one now, isn't it? Why don't you defer the semester?"

"Iyami," he said lovingly and placed his hands on her shoulders, forcing her to look into his eyes that she had been avoiding. "This doesn't mean you're less of the great mother that you are. It simply means that we can't afford to have me go to the university now. And if it weren't for Iya Agba's sickness, we used to be so well to do with your salary. But we can't do that anymore and I understand." He smiled when tears rolled down to her cheeks and wiped them with his thumb. "I'm dropping out of school for a few years, I'd be back when I've worked so hard and got the money to do that. Aisha will school as well, I promise."

She broke into tears, and because Yusrah was fed up with seeing everyone crying while she couldn't do that herself, she walked up to them with a smile. Today wouldn't be more messed up like it was now. "Ah, Rasheed, sorry I overheard your conversation with your Mom."

Before Yusrah continued with what she was saying, she watched as he prostrated before her as though he were greeting a Yoruba elder and then she heard the rain of thanks he was saying. She chuckled and waved for him to get up. "You really don't have to thank me. Your mother has been taking care of mine for years and she is a good person." She smiled at him, "Now, about your school."

He flushed and shook his head, "Please, you shouldn't bother with that. We've had it all sorted out with Iyami."

"He's going to drop out and they're starting their exams on Monday. He says he'll drop out but each night, I saw him reading his books incase he finds a way out. We couldn't pay for his registration last semester, only paid half and now they won't allow him to sit for the exams until he completes the payment."

They all turned to Aisha that was speaking with so much pain coated in her tone. She looked so sad and so young to be bothered too much with this. Yusrah smiled and went to sit beside her, she was tired too. "So, Aisha, how much is the money now?" She really hope it wasn't beyond what she had. She really wanted to help them, but if it was beyond what she currently had, Yusrah didn't know what she would do.

"It's one hundred thousand. But he has worked and gotten..." Aisha stilled for a moment, trying to remember how much Rasheed had saved so far and when she couldn't, she looked up at their bewildered faces and smiled, "I'm sure she would help you, just like she has helped Iya Agba and now she wouldn't die. How much have you saved, Rasheed?"