Chapter VIII

Aiden Asher knew she was there; he could feel her eyes on him. Watching him as he made the length of the room. The feeling swirling in him at being in the same room as Miss. Smith again. There has not been a day or night that has gone by that he has not thought of her. This is different though he can not give into his need. He must not go to her or even look her way. If he does his whole plan is fouled.

The main course came, over and over Juliette found herself looking to the back of Mr. Asher. Meeting the eyes of his men would cause her to turn her head back to her own table. Jessica and the others could tell she was distracted. Juliette was no longing involved in the conversation however much she kept trying to appear to do so.

This went on for the remainder of dinner. Even when the surprise came out and the group cheered in celebration. The restaurants attention was captured and focused on them. As her friends clapped Juliette was lost looking at the man who didn't flinch towards the commotion. The group shared a look one Juliette was oblivious to. Following her stare Jessica pinpointed a table of gentleman, well dressed and most likely here for business.

Juliette and the group left prior to Mr. Asher. Saddened by all this she kept her head down. As they were leaving, Aiden Asher had remained with his back to her. Something in her just wanted him to know she had been there. Why should he care? I had pushed him away she thought as she left the building within the cheerful group.

Saying goodbyes everyone went on. Jessica and Juliette getting into her Jeda, driving her back to the south side Jessica had more questions. Trying to dig into what happened over dinner, Juliette gave nothing aiming for distraction due to the changes coming. Jessica wanted to be the understanding friend but she knew there was something else. It all changed when the man walked in, Juliette couldn't keep her eyes off him.

Letting it go and respecting her friend Jessica dropped Juliette home. Getting up to her apartment Juliette was glad Jessica seemed to believe her, she did feel bad though being so absent minded when out. Thinking over the dinner her friends had really gone the extra mile there. No-one had ever done anything like that for her, not even for a birthday. Instead of being there in the moment with her friends she had been locked into someone who couldn't give her the time of day.

She had to face it. He had given her more than a chance.

Looking around her small place she knew she would need to pack up the things she wanted to bring tomorrow.

Flopping down on her futon she let the day take its toll. Falling into a sleep filled with odd dreams and troubling adventures. Juliette awoke with a start, it was her ringing phone. Fumbling she located it, hardly getting it open before the call would have went to the voicemail.

"Hello" she spoke. Her voice breaking.

"Juliette" Jessica's voice came through the phone. Always hyper that one.

"Yes" she said her voice still barely above a whisper.

"You are moving tomorrow!" she said as a statement.

"Yes" Juliette said again.

"Packing party!" Jessica yelled.

"You have seen my place there is nothing to pack" Juliette was honest. Truly this was something she could do on her own.

"Nonsense. I'll be over in a half hour with boxes, tape and coffee" she hung up abruptly.

Leaving Juliette to lay there staring up at the ceiling and ponder the call. Getting up she showered and got dressed just in time for Jessica's arrival. It was a sight, the slim girl stumbling up the stairs with an armful of moving supplies. The other had coffee and some bags.