Chapter 3

Lisa POV

"Hey, lisa, I'm on my way over," Rosé yawned down the line, as I swallowed the first bite of the breakfast. The whole morning, my phone had been pinned between my shoulder and my ear. I had already called into work to tell them I wouldn't be in that day. I had asked my secretary to rearrange all of my meetings so that none of my clients were unhappy. And I had also checked in on the status of the to day's shoot. I was supposed to stay home with Jennie, but the work at HSR Entertainments must go on. Spending my time with Jennie was not a requirement Rosé had stated, it was I who didn't want to leave Jennie all by herself in the penthouse. She had seemed so jumpy and nervous the day before, the last thing she needed was to find herself alone in an unfamiliar place.

"Oh, okay." I got to my feet and started pacing. "You want to see Jennie?"

"Yeah, I need to talk to her about a few things," she replied. "See if she's willing to talk to the police and help the investigation against the men who exploited her."

"You really think that's a good idea so soon after you got her out?" I wondered aloud. I glanced towards the closed door of the guest room, where Jennie was presumably still sleeping. I had heard her get up to go to the bathroom during the night, and I thought I heard her crying. I had considered going through and seeing if she was alright, but I had no idea what to say to her.

"Honestly, no, but we need to move fast if we're going to gather all the evidences we need." She sighed. "If I had it my way, they could take some time to get counselling before they had to deal with anything too intense, but the sooner they reveal all the vital information, the better chance we will have of conducting a successful prosecution."

"Christ, I didn't realize how much went into an investigation like this," I muttered, pinching the bridge of my nose. It hurt to think that there were more girls like Jennie, a whole bunch of them, who were probably suffering the same way she was. If I could have gotten my hands on the men who had done this...

"Yeah, well, the sooner I can get this over with, the better." Rosé sighed. "I'll be there in about half an hour, okay?"

"Okay," I replied. "I'll make sure she's up."

"Thanks, Lis," Rosé replied, and she hung up the phone and left me in silence once more. I looked down at the food in front of me and suddenly wasn't hungry anymore. The thought of what she must be going through made me a little sick.

Suddenly, the door to Jennie's room opened, and I glanced up to see her standing there, I averted my gaze at once, but before I could, it was impossible not to notice how long and slender her limbs looked under that enormous shirt.

"Hey!" I greeted her. I felt stupid as I greeted a pillar next to her. I looked back at her and focused only on her face, and not on her bare legs. "Did you sleep well?" I asked.

She nodded, and her eyes were drawn to the food on the table in front of me.

"You want something to eat?" I questioned.

"Yes, thank you," she replied, her voice small and careful, as though she was worried that if she said the wrong thing, I would blow up at her. I wanted to soothe her, to tell her that I wasn't going to treat her the way those awful men must have, but I didn't want to draw at tention to her clear discomfort. She was already distinctly aware of that.

She took her seat at the counter, tucking her legs up underneath her carefully; it seemed she was trying to make herself as small as possible. There was a little make-up smudged on her face, and her eyes flicked up to meet mine for the briefest moment as I put the plate down in front of her. She managed a smile.