Chapter 1

Mirabel laughed as the children played tag around her, twirling around to help Cecilia hide behind her, making Alejandra pout before seeing Juancho and chasing him instead. Cecilia gave her a hug before running off again, this time running next to Antonio and his friend jaguar.

She smiled at the sight before seeing movement beyond the window. She stared for a bit before realizing that she wasn't mistaken and that there's a girl outside Casita. After looking around, she sneaked out, nearly bumping into the girl who's only in her camisole and shorts. She gasped at the small bruises and cuts on the girl's legs and she took her hand gently.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Where are your clothes?" She said in a frantic whisper. The girl blinked at her before speaking softly.

"I'm okay. I don't know. Aaaand I also dont know. I just felt like... I needed to be here." She said, her light amber brown eyes looking back at Mirabel's chestnut brown eyes.

"Where did you come from? I'm sure you're definitely not from Encanto." She asked and the girl pointed to the crack between the mountain. Mirabel sighed and chuckled awkwardly. "Of course, duh. I should have known."

A cold wind blew past the two and Casita squeaked a window as the two shivered. "Yes, Casita, I know." Mirabel answered as the girl's eye widen. "Did you just?"

"Talk to the house? Yes. Come on. I'm Mirabel and you are?" "Maria." Mirabel smiled as she tugged the girl towards the house, entering through the backdoor.  She peeked into the party for a bit before taking a breath and whispering low.

"Dolores. Dolores. Back door. Need some help. Bring some arepas, please." Mirabel whispered, making the girl look at her confused only for the both of them to jump back as a girl with a floofy high ponytail suddenly appeared in front of them, a few pieces of arepas in hand.

"I heard her. Is she okay?" Dolores answered as Mirabel herded the two of them upstairs to her new room.

"She's got some cuts but I think that's it." Mirabel closed the door, handing Maria an arepa and making her sit on the bed. "Maria, this is my cousin Dolores. She has super hearing so yeah. Anyways, eat up. It'll make you feel better." The two girls watched as the girl took a bite, waiting for the cuts to disappear slowly before sighing in relief as it does. As Maria kept munching on the arepa, Mirabel started to rummage in her closet for extra set of clothes while Dolores brushed Maria's hair gently, picking out the small twigs and flowers stuck on it.

"So you're saying you don't remember where you came from?" Dolores asked, removing a few stray petals as Maria looked up, thinking for a bit before shrugging. "I really don't. All I know is I'm Maria, I'm 28. I'm supposed to go somewhere safe. That's all." Mirabel handed her a green skirt and a white blouse embroidered with gold flowers.

"We'll help you remember more soon. In the meantime, you can wear this. Aaaand we'll just explain to Mom what happened, maybe her and Tìa Pepa can convince Abuela to let you stay here for a bit." She said, smiling as Dolores finished up braiding Maria's hair onto the side. They helped her get dressed and stepped out, Casita of course, brining an extra set of sandals for her as well. Maria smiled at the sandals in front of her.

"Thank you, Casita." She said and the tiles did a wave, making the three giggle as they head downstairs, arm in arm.

"So... Anything I need to watch out for?" Maria asked nervously. Dolores patted her hand in reassurance. "They're nice people. Just really...?"
"Loud?" Mirabel interjected, the two Madrigals giggling at the word. "Yeah, they can be very loud. My brother Camilo, he's a shapeshifter so he's clowning around a lot. My youngest brother Antonio can speak to animals. So you know the ruckus that comes with that gift. Especially Mama. She controls the weather. Papa has no gift tho. But he can calm Mama down better than anyone." Dolores said as they stood at the staircase, pointing at each family member as she explain. "Oh, oh, my sister, Isabella, she used to makes flowers but she makes more plants now. And cactus. Lots of cactus." Mirabel said as she chuckled." That's Papi over there playing the piano with Luisa and Luisa is super strong and Mom can help anyone with her food. It can heal you." She smiled proudly.

"So...  The arepa?" Maria asked and Mirabel nodded. "Yep, she made that so you're all healed up. Mostly. We still need to get your memories back, so yeah." The three moved forward to the party. They stood next to Julieta who greeted them with a smile.

"Mom, this is Maria. A new friend." Mirabel excitedly said as she held Maria close. "She alsooo needsomebitofhelp, shelosthermemoriesandIwaswonderingifshecouldstayhere?" The other three ladies stared at her before Julieta cleared her throat.

"We'll ask Mama if she can stay. And don't worry, we'll try to help, okay? Eat up first." Julieta gave them a hug before shooing them off to the buffet table. Dolores whispered about going to her mama to let her know as well before walking towards the crowd again, leaving Mirabel and Maria alone.

"So magic huh." Maria commented as she sip on her juice. "Do you have any powers too?" Mirabel blinked before smiling. "I uh.. Have no gift. Not like them, at least-"

"I think you do." Maria interrupted her. "I'm supposed to be scared, you know. No memories. Only who I am as a person. I'm a blank slate in a place I don't know. But somehow, I feel welcome and safe. Coz of you. You're cozy, like Casita." Mirabel smiled at her words.

"Wow. Now that... was beautiful." A male voice said behind them. They whipped around seeing an older male in a green ruana. "Sorry, I think I said that out loud." He tried to brush it off and walk away but Mirabel already pulled him close. "This is Tìo Bruno!" He was uhm... Away for some time but he's back now! Tìo, this is Maria, she's having some trouble right now but we'll be helping her." Bruno looked at her confused. "Trouble?"

"Nice to meet you." Maria held out her hand and Bruno hesitantly accepted and against his will, his eyes glowed green for a second and he pulled his hand away like he was burnt, staring at the eyes of the girl in front of them.

"Tìo?" Mirabel's voice snapped him out of his trance and the two watched him with curious eyes and Bruno's face turned red, refusing to explain anything. "I uh... I'mma go." He said before scampering off to the kitchen.

"What was that about?" She wondered and Mirabel shrugged. "I don't know. He can see the future. Maybe he had a glimpse or something. " She shrugged and they sat down with more food, watching the party around them. "I'll tell you more about Encanto and... Well, about everyone tomorrow, but today, you relax, eat and have fun, okay?" She added with a smile and Maria nodded.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Bruno watched from the kitchen doorway, his face flushed at the vision he saw. It was brief but it was obviously Maria, running into his arms. An embrace. Huh. Deja vu. He sighed, unable to remove it from his mind.
"Knock knock knock, knock on wood."