Chapter 2

*Mirabel's POV*

As the party goes in full swing, I stayed next to Maria, introducing her to everyone. She's had some attacks of headache that Mom's Bunuelos could fix but it keeps springing back up so I ended up having them in my pockets just to be sure. Isa gave Maria and I a warm hug before giving us flower crowns, which was kinda new because it's made with bougainvilleas and jacarandas, not the usual roses.

I kept a lookout for the kids and soon enough, with the help of Casita, herded them into a big room to go to sleep. I noticed Maria getting a little shifty, like she wants to go back out to the party so I nodded, letting her join the others. Unbeknownst to me, she followed a different trail, something I couldn't see.

*3rd Pov*
Maria walked the hallways upstairs, the party seen below in the courtyard. She paid no heed to it, following the warmth that attracted her to the house ever since she woke up in the forest. However, a pair of eyes followed her moves. Abuela Alma looked at the girl in genuine curiosity. She felt an incredible amount of familiar warmth from the girl. Almost the same as Casita's. She is a stranger, yes, but she felt no animosity or any reason to fear the girl. She just hope that she will not take away the magic that Mirabel just restored.

Maria stepped forward, bumping into a pillar by mistake and shaking her head, the pounding in her brain becoming stronger now. But the warmth is pulling her forward and with each step, her head pounds more and more. She stood in front of a door, her head leaning against it as it rings against her ears, her breathing heavy. But the moment she held the doorknob, her headache immediately ceased. Like it was never there. She took a few deep breaths before opening her eyes, seeing a glowing door that says Bruno at the top.

"Wha-?" She whispered just as she heard a squeak behind her. Dolores looked at her, blinking inquisitively.

"Are you okay? Do you need to rest?" Dolores inquired as she shepherd Maria into the guest room next to Bruno's. Maria nodded weakly, too overwhelmed and confounded to say another word.