Love & Legacy

Viktor was writing in his notes, the lab was cold, but everything seemed to be cold these days. Jayce worked beside him, only a few feet away. They usually weren't this quiet, but now things were...different.

It had been a week since Jayce had found Viktor on the bathroom floor, a week since the diagnosis, & Viktor couldn't bring himself to talk about it. Neither of them could, though it was obvious Jayce wanted to.

Viktor gave a dull cough as he sorted through test tubes & notes he'd written months ago-he noticed his handwriting was heavier now, messier then what it used to be. He glanced over a second set of penmanship that was far more consistent-Jayce's writing was scattered in the margins, he wrote in small bursts. "Tweak the calibration??" Or "use copper, gold melt", sentences lacking proper grammar. It was charming really. Jayce was almost a poet in his own journals, far more eloquent, almost too much so. But it seemed he enjoyed defacing Viktors carefully chosen academic papers with toddler speak.

Jayce was the first to speak, cutting Viktors thoughts short "...how's your knee?" He asked. Viktor always said his knee could predict the weather, & right now it was cloudy, creating an overcast gray light in the windows "ehh, cloudy with a high chance of precipitation" he joked, though Jayce didn't laugh "I mean it, Vik. How's your knee?" He said, turning to look at Viktor, who was focused on his work. "I am fine, Jayce. For now I am not in the grave, & I wish you wouldn't act like you're holding the shovel" his tone never changed, slightly rough & ice cold, as usual.

Jayce was quiet for a second "I told you we'd figure this out didn't I? You're not going to die, don't talk like that" He'd stepped closer but Viktor didn't comment on it "all the more reason to cease talking & resume working, yes?" He said, Jayce gave a huff of frustration, but returned to what he was doing.

Viktor was fine in the silence. It had seeped into his bones long ago & was no longer foreign, but Jayce was at odds with it. He couldn't stand the silence that permeated the lab, or the counsel, or the ledge of a building. It didn't take long for him to get restless "are you sure, Viktor?" He asked, voice softer then usual. Viktor still didn't look up from his work "sure of what? The equations? Of course I'm sure-" Jayce cut him off "no. You know what I'm talking about. Are you ok? Really" Viktor felt his lip twitch "if I wished to discuss my early demise I would bring it up. But I do not" Jayce was closer now, Viktor could feel his eyes on the back of his head "Vik, I'm worried-" Viktor suddenly turned around, far too fast for his bad knee "Jayce, if I wanted your worry I would beg on the streets. Your worry will not make me die any slower".

Jayce was still, just looking at his partner with those wide, hazel eyes. He looked like a deer in headlights "I...I know. I know you don't want my pity, or my worry, but...I can't just stand here & not care about you. Even if I tried" Viktor suddenly didn't know what to do with his hands. He gripped his crutch a little tighter then usual as Jayce came closer. Even in the pale light he was golden "I care about you. Let me do that at least" he put a tentative hand on his shoulder "please"

Viktor swallowed as best he could with a dry throat. He could never care about him the way he cared about Mel. He would be gone soon. Dust in the wind, barely a passing memory, what was he compared to Mel? To Jayce? They would live to have long, happy legacies, probably get statues carved in their likeness. He wouldn't be there to see them.

The silence held them at their throats, but this time Jayce stared it in the face. Suddenly warm, calloused hands wrapped around the crumpled silk of Viktors waistcoat, & broad, sturdy shoulders cradled his head. Greasy, unbrushed hair rested against Jayces flawless coat.

Viktor felt like he was floating, he hadn't even heard his crutch hit the floor with a clunk as the warmth of sunlight enveloped him even though the sky was full of clouds. He was suddenly very aware of how cold his hands were. He couldn't speak, didn't trust himself to, not now.

"They're gonna love you, you know" Jayce had said, his face flushed with the Zaunite alcohol Viktor had brought for his birthday. Viktor didn't celebrate his birthday, but Jayce did. "They won't even know what hit them" Viktor could hold his alcohol, but to his surprise Jayce was a bit of a lightweight-he was also very touchy when drunk, his hands always touching Viktor somehow, an arm around his shoulder or a hand on his knee. Viktor found he didn't hate it. In fact he found it somewhat amusing. Jayces hands were warm, like rocks in the sun "geez Vik, you're so cold" he said, wrapping his fingers around Viktor's slender hand & holding it with such gentleness he wasn't aware Jayce had "remind me to buy you a heater-or another drink, considering I've polished this one off". Viktor could feel the phantom of Jayces hands even after he had moved them. A tugging pulled in his chest that he recognized as longing.

Jayce was silent, he simply held Viktor there. Viktor felt him breathing. Up, down, up, down, it was so much more steady then his own. Jayce pulled back, fingertips ghosting over where they once rested "sorry, I uh...I just want you to be ok" Viktors expression softened "I will be, Jayce. I always have" he reached up to put a hand on Jayce's arm "I still yet have some life left in me. I'm glad it's with you".