Chapter 3: Light conversations

Everleigh:

I laughed as a boy tripped over Britt's outstretched foot. He caught himself, but his glasses fell. I willed Britt to have enough civility to not crush them with her heels. She didn't, which had me internally sigh in relief. She giggled and he hurriedly walked away.

"I'm going to try the next one." She whispered. My heart sank as I saw the next person passing our table was Ema. Daniel had told me all the basic fundamentals of her life, and clumsiness was most definitely on the list. Ema was in a rush. I could feel Daniel's brown gaze searing into me as I quickly tried to think of something to distract Britt.

"Hey, I heard that Bennett was planning to ask you out," I stated. Britt's jaw dropped and her foot flashed back in. Ema's eyes widened as she scurried by the table. The shock was evident.

"What? No way."

"Mhm, he was talking to his friends about you." I mumbled distractedly. I could hear Daniel's footsteps approaching our table.

"What do you want?" Amanda snapped at him. I could hear Britt whispering to Amanda. "He is cute, though." I kid you not, I almost lost my food. But he met her stare levelly, no particular emotion showing on his face, while she batted her eyelashes at him.

"I just wanted to speak to Everleigh for a sec," he replied coolly.

"What does she want with you?" He cast me a pleading glance and I stood up.

"Fine. Let's go into the halls." I could feel everyone's eyes on me as I led him outside of the room and turned to face him.

"Yes?" I let my voice loose.

"Thank you," he whispered. I stared up at him for a moment, then looked away.

"Don't thank me yet, Daniel."

"Why not?"

"Britt and Amanda aren't exactly faking it like I am. They have no idea what I'm doing, and they could very well ruin her life without my help." I responded, looking up again.

"Britt's eyes were doing this weird batty movement towards me," he muttered, sounding confused as to why any girl would bat her eyelashes at him.

"She was flirting with you."

"Why?" He tipped his head. I stared at him, waiting for him to realize and answer his own question before I had to say it. Daniel didn't say anything.

"Because, well, I mean..." I gestured towards him. I looked at him. His brown hair, his brown eyes, his olive skin. "You're..." I trailed off. He snickered. "I'm...?" I shoved his arm.

"Don't make me do this. I have to go back anyway."

"If you say so." The idiot saluted me and watched me as I walked away.

-----------------------------------------

I wiped the table, careful not to let crumbs fall on the ground. Gloria was asleep and I was doing the, what she called, 'afternoon hours of boredom'. I wasn't going to argue with her about that, but occasionally it was nice to just think. About...

"No, no, no." I scolded myself. "He's not on your mind."

"Who's not on your mind?" an amused voice asked. I looked up in surprise, and Daniel was leaning on the frame of the backyard door.

I gaped at him. "How did you get in?"

He smirked. "Let's just say I'm an excellent climber."

I glared at him. "Why are you here?"

"Well, since I know you're not exactly who I thought you were, I'd like to know who you are." He shrugged. "And I wanted to visit Gloria."

"Okay, then." I washed my hands and pulled out a seat. "Where do you want to start?"

"Why do you live with Gloria?"

My smile faltered. "Straight to the hard ones?" I asked teasingly, my voice soft.

Daniel:

"Straight to the hard ones?" she asked teasingly. Her voice was quieter and I inwardly scolded myself for asking such a stupid question.

"Sorry, you don't have to answer."

"It's okay, um," she got up and pressed a button on a kettle, then sat back down. "I've lived with Gloria since my parents passed."

"Oh..." I didn't exactly know what to say.

"What about you? Do you live with your family?" she hurriedly asked.

"Yeah, um, most of the time."

"Most of the time?" her eyebrows quirked up.

"I... don't have the best relationship with my mom, so I sleep at Matt's house most of the time." Everleigh let out a slight 'ah', and leaned back into the chair. What did she think about that?

"Does Matt...?"

"Hm?"

"Doesn't he have a... you know, thing for your sister?" she asked, her brow furrowing.

It was that obvious?

We heard a creak from upstairs. Everleigh glanced up. "Now's your chance to visit Gloria." I followed her up the stairs, but I couldn't ignore the ache in my stomach for having her talk about all the death. She turned to see if I was following her, and I met her eyes. I offered her my hand and she gripped it tight, saying, "Come on, I thought boys were fast."

Everleigh:

"Come on, I thought boys were fast." I laughed, pulling him up the stairs.

"It's not my fault you decided to run when I thought we were walking!" He yelped in mock-defense. He was cute.

I'm kidding

Somewhat.

I slowly opened the door to Gloria's room, she was sitting up, smiling gleefully.

Daniel stepped forward. "Hi, Gloria."

"Daniel! It's so good to see you again!" Her eyes glanced at my hand and I followed her gaze. My hand was still on Daniel's arm. She winked at me and I jerked my fingers back.

"How was your rest?" I asked her, seating myself on the edge of her bed.

"It was alright," she replied. The grin was still prominent on her face as she glanced between me and Daniel. "What were you two talking about?" I inhaled sharply and looked over to see Daniel awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"Uh, just..." he trailed off. "We were just talking." She nodded sincerely.

"I see. Well, I'll leave you to do your 'talking', and go to sleep. I'm getting a bit tired, anyhow."

"Okay, call me if you need anything."

"You know it!"