Chapter 6: Confusing

Daniel:

I closed the door and spotted my friends in the distance.

"Hey!" They all turned and grinned.

"Bro, heard you slept in... and maybe with." Isaac smirked.

"Yep, heard it all." Matthew confirmed. And he winked at me.

"I didn't sleep with anyone. I just fell asleep next to someone. There's a difference."

"Sure." Matthew smirked.

"Anyway, who was it?" Josh asked.

"None of your business."

"Come on! It's all of our business." Josh chided. "Come on!"

"No." I remained adamant.

"Fine, fine," Elijah grumbled. "But eventually you're going to have to tell us."

"Right. No."

---------------------------------------------------------

Gloria:

I pulled the scrapbook out of the drawer. Memories flowed into my mind, like fish going with the current. But it was a struggle. So much loss.

Everleigh hardly has anyone left.

And now she was going to lose me.

It wasn't fair. She deserved the world and the world had denied her everything. The phone on my nightstand began to buzz. Scrambling over to it, I picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Gloria Williams?" A professional voice flowed out of the speaker.

"Yes." Worry tinged my voice and I was sure I could not hide it.

"This is Dr. Harbor. How are you feeling?"

"Oh, hello, Doctor. Didn't recognize your voice there for a moment. I've been well."

"Any unusual symptoms?"

"Nope."

"Good, good. Um, we finished running some tests. Is your granddaughter with you at the moment?"

"No, she isn't."

"Ah. Well, Ms. Williams... I'm afraid the tests came back positive." My blood ran cold. Oh, hell no. This couldn't happen.

"Are you completely sure these tests are accurate?" I was aware of my voice coming out dry and hoarse.

"Completely."

"What are my chances?"

He sighed. "I'm going to have to put you on terminal."

No, no, no.

"Thank you for this news." I hung up. My hands were freezing but I ignored it as I rummaged around my room, searching for my comfort. I threw notebooks and letters to the ground in my attempt to find the sacred picture.

"Goodness, where is it?" I was shaking, partly out of shock, partly out of rage, partly out of panic at my supposed losing the photo. I threw open a drawer and sighed in relief as I saw it. Picking it up, I gazed at it for a minute before pressing the four-year old pregnancy ultrasound to my heart.

"Oh, my dear Everleigh, you've lost so much."

---------------------------------------------------------

Daniel:

She jiggled the keys around until the door unlocked with a click. I snickered.

"It usually takes a few tries." She shrugged and let her backpack slide to the floor. "Gloria?" she called. No response. "Nonna?" No response.

"I'll go check on her," I offered quickly. Everleigh nodded and I darted upstairs. My eyes widened in horror at the scene before me. It looked like somebody went through everything in every drawer; the room was a complete mess. Gloria was splayed out on the floor, holding something in her hand, and before I assumed the worst, she twitched.

"Gloria?"

She blinked her eyes open wearily. Then she sat up. "Oh, dear, I'm so sorry. I must have fallen asleep. Goodness gracious, I never cleaned up."

I helped her up, worry still tugging at my heart. "It's fine, Gloria, but are you okay?"

"Yes, yes, thank you." I noticed a black and white photo in her hand.

"What's... that?" She jerked her arm out of reach.

"Nothing. You should go check on her now." She waved her hand dismissively. When I hesitated, she nudged me. "Go on! Check on your girlfriend."

"She's not–" She shut the door on me. I sighed.

"Ev?" I called, as I walked downstairs.

"Hm?" Everleigh was typing on her computer, taking occasional sips from her water bottle.

"Does your grandma have, like... an ultrasound of your sister?" She choked on her water. Coughing, she looked up.

"What?"

"Well, Gloria was holding a picture of an ultrasound of some sort," I explained.

She paled, but hurriedly replied, "I'm sure it was nothing, Daniel. You have better things to worry about anyway."

"Right..."