Chapter 5

Before I could even process the fate I'd missed by a hair, Rindou had dragged me out of the suite and into the elevator.

If I hadn't moved out of the way, I would be dead. If I hadn't pulled Rindou down with me, he would be dead. Why did I save him? Why did I-

'Hey.' Rindou's deep voice pulled me from my daze.

His gaze was searching mine. 'It's okay.'

It's... okay? We almost got fucking killed!

I had a scathing comment for him on the tip of my tongue but my throat was too tight to speak. My legs were feeling weaker by the second, and I feared they would soon buckle under me. When the door of the elevator slid open with a ding, Rindou went to stand behind me. He hooked one arm under my knees, the other under my armpits, and carried me bridal style out of the elevator and into the private parking of the hotel.

'I can walk.' I protested.

He flicked a quick gaze at me while he strode to his car. 'You would have slowed me down with your high heels.'

I rolled my eyes but, secretly, I was very grateful. I could focus on nothing but Rindou's side profile. Feel nothing but his firm chest he was holding me close to. His reassuring masculine smell was invading my senses, slowly conquering my anxiety.

He put me down next to his car and opened the door for me. I settled in the passenger's seat while he got around the car to sit in the driver's seat. A minute later, we were speeding downtown, the city passing in front of our eyes in a blur. Just like he did everything else, Rindou drove confidently, gripping the stirring wheel with one hand, his other hand placed on his thigh. There wasn't a hint of hesitation in his movements.

'Drop me off at my apartment.' I demanded.

'Can't do that.'

'Why not?'

'Whoever just tried to kill us might still be following us.'

' "Us"?' I huffed. 'I'm pretty sure he was after you, not after me.'

Rindou didn't look at me but a sly smile tugged at his lips. 'So what? It's everyone for himself now?'

'Yeah, I don't want to get dragged into your shit. '

His head tilted, catching my gaze. The intensity in his eyes made me feel stuck to my leather seat. 'Too late.'

Maybe he was right. It was already too late. It was too late the second our eyes locked while I danced on that stage.

I didn't want trouble, but this man I peeked the interest of brought it anywhere he went.

-----------------------------------------

Nestled between an abandoned movie theater and a small launderette, was an old building with a scruffy façade. I blinked several times in disbelief, then looked at Rindou who was standing next to me. 'This is where you live?'

'Yeah. Come in.'

I hesitantly followed after him as he stepped inside. The sight I was greeted with was... unexpected to say the least.

A wide, curving staircase with a dark carpet was illuminated by the light coming from a round dome skylight above our heads and led down to a higher level. It looked like the lobby of an old mansion.

'It's...' My voice trailed off as my eyes swept over every detail.

'Beautiful.' Rindou finished for me.

I turned to look at him, only to find him already watching me. 

His eyes paced from my eyes to my lips.