Chapter 8

I was as nervous as the first night I'd performed as a dancer. Maybe it was because I knew Rindou would be watching. Or maybe it was because I had been chosen to give a customer a birthday lap dance which was something I had never done before. I had received the special outfit that came along with the task: a white two-piece bikini with a crystal rhinestone mesh set on top. I looked like a million bucks. I felt like it too.

Through the small opening between the curtains, my gaze sought Rindou in the crowd. He was standing at the bar with Raven.

Raven was one of the most experienced dancers of the club. With her sleek blond bob, endless legs, and lips full of filler, she was a real man eater. Every night, she set her sights on someone new. Rich, poor, married, single, young, old,... it didn't matter. I kind of admired her for it. I wished I could have lived a life without ever getting attached to anyone. It would have been so much easier.

'I heard one of our customers is turning 27 tonight!' Tne dj's voice boomed through the club.

On cue with the announcement, the spotlight drifted across the dark room in search of the birthday boy, illuminating the faces of the customers before halting on a table of two men. One of them was blond. He had icy blue eyes, glasses, and arched eyebrows, There was something unsettling about him... I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was his gaze. Cold, calculating. Or maybe it was the wide grin he was flashing. Fake.

Relief flooded me when he jerked a thumb to the man next to him.

With his black hair, golden eyes, tailored suit, and his glasses, he was so unbelievably handsome I could feel my cheeks heat up with a blush. Under the cheers of encouragement and the "happy birthdays" from the other customers, he rose from his chair, standing up to his full height. He was probably taller than Rindou, maybe even taller than Ran. He walked over to the stage and up the steps, then stepped onto the stage. A comfortable chair had been prepared for him. He sat on it, spreading his legs apart.

My eyes sought Rindou one last time. He was still standing at the bar, talking with Raven. Or rather, she was talking to him while he was listening. At least he pretended he was. His gaze stayed riveted to his glass of whiskey as if the amber liquid was more interesting than the beautiful woman in front of him.

Tearing my eyes away from the scene, I left my spot behind the curtains and walked on stage. My focus was on the black-haired customer as I approached him from his right side. His head turned to me and our eyes met for the first time. His gaze was warm as he watched me. So warm, even my skimpy outfit felt too much, too restricting.

Through the cheers of the customers and the loud music that started playing, we spoke to each other and it felt as though we were in a bubble that blocked out all the background noise.

'Name?'

'Shuji Hanma.'

Slowly striding atop my 6 inches heels, I got around Hanma's chair and stopped behind him. My hands skimmed along his broad shoulders. The warmth of his bodyheat seeping through the fabric of his expensive suit couldn't rival with the searing look a certain pair of lavender eyes was giving me. I could feel it burn my cheeks from a distance.

Hanma had placed his hands on his thighs. The two tattoos on them drew my gaze. "Sin", and "Punishment". He had the kind of hands that left a woman wondering what they would look like against her body.

'Businessman?' I whispered my question in his ear.

'Kinda.'

'Hmm, illegal activities.' I concluded.

Hanma exuded confidence and mystery with a hint of arrogance. It was a mixture I had only encountered once before.

Rindou.