Chapter 14

2 years later

The sound of a loud stomach rumble broke the silence inside of the car. I turned my head to Suki whose cheeks were tinted red.

"Didn't you eat this morning?" I asked her.

"No." She sucked her bottom lip between her teeth, her blush turning a bright shade of red. "I was too nervous."

I laughed. "It's my wedding, not yours. Shouldn't I be the one nervous?"

"Sorry, it's just, being the maid of honour is a lot of pressure too, you know."

Today was my wedding day. Suki and I were sitting in the back seat of a car my private chauffeur was driving. We were on our way to a church located a little bit outside of the centre of the capital. Hanma had let me choose everything, from the church the ceremony would take place in to the colour of the tablecloths that would be laid on the tables for our wedding party.

For 2 years now, Hanma and I had been dating. My idea of what he did for a living was still pretty vague. But he was rich. Like, filthy rich. He had taken me to every five-stars restaurant in this city. He had hired a private chauffeur for me and had bought me everything I had ever wanted. He had offered me the kind of life I had never thought I would get a taste of on a silver platter, and ultimately, he stayed true to his words : he asked me to marry him and I said yes.

Suki reached an arm toward me to take my hand.

"You look so beautiful," She complimented, giving my hand a squeeze.

My lips curved up into a soft smile. "Thank you."

Suki was there with me when I chose the wedding dress I was wearing now. It was an off-the-shoulder, lace-embroidered white dress with a plunging back and long sleeves that extended over my hands.

"You think Hanma will cry when he sees you walking down the aisle?" Suki asked me, cackling at the thought.

"He better," I joked.

"Ma'am? I have to stop at the gas station," The chauffeur informed me.

"Alright."

A few minutes later, he pulled up into a small gas station on the side of the road. He stepped out of the car and closed the door behind him.

"Go buy something to eat," I encouraged Suki, nodding toward the small convenience store which was adjoining to the gas station. "You really shouldn't spend the whole day with an empty stomach."

"Alright." She nodded and opened her car door. "I'll be right back."

She stepped out of the car and closed the door behind her. I chuckled as I watched her take off into a half-walk half-run toward the store.

My phone rang in the silence of the now empty car. I pulled it out of my purse and picked up the call without checking the caller ID first.

"Hello?"

"Mia? It's Naoto Tachibana, remember me?"

"Of course, I do."

We hadn't seen each other since the day Rindou was taken to jail. That same night, Ran, Sanzu and Kakucho also got locked away as Naoto and his team of officers had found enough incriminating evidence on them in Bonten's hideout. However, the identity of the leader of Bonten had remained a mystery and his activities had continued causing trouble throughout the capital over the past 2 years even though he wasn't benefitting from the help of his most loyal right-hand men anymore.

"Why are you calling me on my wedding day, detective?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. If I had known you were getting married today, I would have called you tomorrow, but I have important news." He paused and a cloud of unease rolled through my stomach. "It's about Bonten."