00

Image of Nina Cruz above

Julianna ran a hand through her hair as she let out a frustrated yell.

A knock sounded on her door and she turned to see her mother who asked, "What is it?"

Julianna began tearing up. "I think there's something wrong with me."

Lois sat by her daughter. "What do you mean?"

"I just... I don't feel how you do about a guy. I've tried to like them, but I can't. I mean, they're cool and all, but I just don't feel that way about them."

"Sweetie, not everyone feels the same way about a person or gender."

"So you're not mad?"

"No, of course not. I'm proud of you for opening up."

Julianna smiled and hugged her mother. "Thanks, Mom."

Lois kissed the top of Julianna's head. "Anytime. So is there any girl in particular?"

"Well, there's this girl named Nina."

"Your study partner. I remember her."

"Yeah. Well she said that she liked me as more than a friend and that got me thinking and really confused. But I don't think I'm confused anymore. I'm gonna tell her how I feel."

"I'm so proud of you, Julie."

Jonathan poked his head into the room and asked, "Everything okay?"

Julianna nodded. "It is now."

"Good. So when are you gonna ask Nina out?"

"You knew?"

"Well yeah. It was kind of obvious."

"Apparently not to me."

Jordan joined their brother and smiled. "Sometimes it takes time to realize. I'm happy for you, Julie."

Jonathan nodded. "Me too."

"What are we happy about?" Clark asked as he joined the boys.

Julianna let out a breath. "I've finally come to terms with myself and I'm gonna tell Nina how I feel."

Clark smiled. "That's great! I hope it goes well."

"Me too."

--

At school the next day, Julianna waited by Nina's locker anxiously.

Nina walked up with her books and said, "Hey. Are you okay? I didn't weird you out or anything, right?"

Julianna shook her head. "No, you didn't. I did get kind of scared, but it wasn't anything you did. All me."

"Good. Look, if you don't feel the same way-"

Julianna took Nina's cheeks in her hands and kissed her. When she pulled away, she said, "Sorry. Action was easier than words."

Nina smiled. "You have nothing to apologize for, Julianna Kent."

"So what does this mean? Are we dating? Is it a fling?"

"I don't want it to be a fling."

"Me neither."

"Julianna, would you be my girlfriend?"

Julianna nodded. "I would really like to be."

Nina kissed Julianna's cheek and smiled. "Then that's what we are. Let me put my books away and we can walk to class together."

"Yeah, okay."

Nina put the books she didn't need away and got the book she needed. The two laced their hands together and walked to class, sharing a periodic smile.