The Engagement

(imagine her with a straight mouth line)

Sure enough, Prince Kenny, her Mom, Dad, and Kenny's parents were sitting around the table. "Ah, finally! Dawn, come sit." Dawn sat down in the seat next to Kenny. Dawn kept her hard expression on.

"Kenny dear, go on." Kenny looked at Dawn. It was weird. Dawn knew Kenny liked her, but he didn't seem to want this engagement as much as she didn't. Kenny cleared his throat. "Dawn, the morning sun, the shining pearl of the sea, brilliant diamond of the sky, I kneel before you to ask one question-"

"THEY'RE BACK! THEY'RE BACK! THEY'RE BACK!!" A servant came running into the room. Dawn's expression changed. Her lips were parted and her eyes were sad. Queen Johanna clapped her hands. "Well! Let's go greet them! We can pick up with this after we go to welcome them back." Johanna smiled warmly at Kenny. Kenny nodded and held out his hand for Dawn. Dawn grabbed it. Doing what she needed to do, she linked her arm in his.

"Ready to see 'Paulyyyy'?" Kenny snickered. Dawn rolled her eyes. "We both know I was over that a LONG time ago." Dawn kept her eyes trained forward, but out of the corner of them, she could see many people whispering and pointing at her and Kenny. She heard Kenny whisper something to himself, but couldn't quite make out what it was.

Dawn's face took on that thin-line mouth-determined eyebrows look again. Queen Johanna, King Ramon (her dad), Queen Annie, King Max, Dawn, and Kenny all lined up in a straight line.

The new knights came filing out of the boat, bowing to every member of the royal families. The royal families bowed to each knight. Dawn searched the crowd for Chloe. It looked like she was looking for someone. No doubt she's trying to find Goh, Dawn thought, almost smiling, but keeping her expression the same.

They bowed and bowed, welcoming each new knight. Kenny spotted Paul at the very end of the line. He nudged Dawn and made kissing noises. Dawn stomped on his foot and he shut up, almost crying because his foot hurt so much.

When Paul came, they bowed to each other. Dawn looked at him. Paul chuckled (when someone is amused, that kind of chuckle). Dawn glared at the back of his head as he left. She stuck her tongue out at him. How did I LIKE him?? She asked herself. Kenny snorted. "Shut up," Dawn said. "Yeah, I'll shut up when you like me." Dawn raised her foot. Kenny's eyes widened. "Okay, okay! I'll stop!" Dawn gave a satisfied humph. She walked arm-in-arm with Kenny as they made their way back to the castle.

They sat down at the table. Kenny cleared his throat. "Dawn, as I was saying, will you marry me?" Dawn sighed. "Well, seeing as I can't say no-"

"Dawn!" Queen Johanna gasped.

"My ANSWER is yes." Queen Johanna shook her head. Dawn put the ring on her finger and kissed Kenny on the cheek to taunt him. His cheeks turned a deep red. Dawn left to her room and walked over to the windowsill.

The knights were already training. "At least they can train without getting in trouble if they're seen," she grumbled to herself. She watched as each knight delivered their moves. Dawn snorted. She could do all of that even better in her sleep. She got up from the windowsill. She was only going to feel sadder and angrier if she continued to watch them.

When Dawn had first thought of the idea to train with a sword, her mother was appalled. She had said no furiously and had forbidden her to ever think of the idea ever again. She had told her that she would work her extra hard to be a well-trained PRINCESS, and she had made it very clear on that.

Dawn sighed. Chloe came bursting into the room. Dawn sat up immediately. "Eek! I can't believe they're back! It's been so long! And they all look so much stronger now..." Chloe collapsed on Dawn's bed. They burst into a fit of laughter. "Sooooo, did you see Goh?" Chloe blushed. "Maybe," she squeaked. Dawn laughed.

"Chloe, do you ever wish you could be someone else?" Chloe thought for a moment. "Not really, I mean, sometimes I'd like to be you but, I haven't thought about that. Why?"

Dawn shrugged. "Just wondering." Dawn sat up. "You should probably go. Meet up tomorrow at 6:00?" Chloe nodded. "See you then," Chloe said. Chloe left the room and Dawn decided to lay on her bed and think about the knights outside. She really wished she could be one of them. Dawn tried to fall asleep, but the noise of swords clashing against each other was unbearable. When she was doing it, she could handle the noise, but not when others did it.

Dawn got up and closed the curtains, trying to block out the sound. Dawn fell on her bed and passed out.