Chapter Fifteen

"How did you find me?" Although she sounded fine in her head, Aurelia heard only a croak.

Nicholas smiled and came to kneel next to her. "Shh," he said. "You need food and rest. I'll tell you everything later."

She wanted to protest, but she couldn't find the strength. Her eyes closed against her will, and the next thing she knew was waking to Nicholas trying to prop her up. When he lifted her shoulders, she could feel a sharp pain in her chest.

"Broken ribs," she whispered.

Nicholas's face clouded with worry. "But I can't get food or water into you while you're lying flat on your back," he explained. "Do you think you can bear it if I try to get you at least half seated?"

She nodded and bit her lip as he picked her up once more and shifted something behind her. The pain was immense, like someone was stabbing her, and her head swam with sickness. But when he released her, she found she was relatively comfortable, and the sharp pain faded into a dull throbbing.

"Here," he said, offering her a spoon of something.

She gratefully accepted some warm soup, but after a couple of spoonfuls found she was unable to eat more.

"It's fine; we're going to have to take this slow," Nicholas said.

"I feel like I've been pulled through a washing machine," Aurelia told him. But she felt infinitely better than before and could even keep her eyes open, a good sign. "How did you find me?"

Nicholas sat cross-legged next to her. "You have Bryn to thank," he said.

Bryn? Aurelia thought about the gruff man in black who had shown her out of the dome. He didn't seem particularly predisposed to helping anyone, let alone her. "How come?"

"When he found out you hadn't re-entered the dome after a couple of days, he started to get worried about you. He managed to get a message through to me. Simple."

"He didn't seem . . . he didn't seem like he liked me much," Aurelia said.

Nicholas grinned. "He doesn't like anyone much," he told her. "But he and I, well, we've known each other a long time."

"He wasn't your classmate; he's too old."

"He was my teacher," Nicholas admitted, and the tone of his voice made it clear this was not a matter for discussion.

"What happened after you got his message?"

"It wasn't too hard to track you down. There aren't many women out here, especially not on their own. I found the group of traders you'd spoken to; Bryn put me onto them. When I couldn't find you elsewhere, I figured you'd been taken. Others told me about the brigands by the mine. I've been watching you for a day or so, trying to figure out how to get you out of there without getting us both killed."

Aurelia smiled a little at this. "All that clone training sure comes in handy sometimes."

"And what about you?" Nicholas asked.

Quickly, she filled him in on how she had got out, and what had happened since.

"Okay," he nodded. "But I still don't understand why you're here. I told you not to come."

"I know, but I think you're out under false pretences. Nicholas, why did you leave? We were about to get you to safety. I know you weren't thrilled about going to Earth, but it would have been better than this, wouldn't it?"

Nicholas's shoulders slumped, and Aurelia saw how weary he looked. He'd probably been up for a couple of days, watching her and trying to get her out of the brigand camp. A faint flush of gray under his eyes showed against the pale skin of his face.