37

Y E U N O

After Dee and Doey dropped me off my condo, I just grabbed my car keys and headed to my aunt's place. She demanded I come there to get some food.

"Pumunta ako sa condo mo kagabi pero wala ka. Kumain ka ba ng hapunan pagka alis mo?" I just simply nodded.

I didn't. I didn't want to eat after coming back from the cemetery.

"May pagkain ka pa ba sa condo mo? May idadagdag ako, sandali lang." She kept going back and forth to the kitchen while I just sat at the couch.

"It's fine, there's still leftovers from last week," I responded but she just went inside the kitchen again.

"Naku 'wag kang magpalipas ng gutom! Kapayat-payat mo na nga oh!"

I yawned and closed my eyes.

Yesterday was my mother and father's death anniversary. I normally stay at the cemetery until nightfall, then just find ways to recuperate.

And when I read what Iraena wrote, about the death of the main characters' brother, I just found someone who felt like they understood.

It might only be a story, but the feelings were genuine and raw- and so I asked her for coffee.

I wanted to take my mind away from the taunting memories, and Iraena was great enough to not mind the silence between us.

The drive there was silent, even when we entered Starbucks and sat down, she minded her own business.

For the first time, I understood why she liked the silence.

With her, it's just different. Everything's different.

It was always a new environment that I knew I couldn't find with my friends. They gave me different kinds of warmth and friendship.

But this time, I found someone who's in my world. Who knew and enjoy things I do too.

I smiled.

"Ay sus bakit ka ngumingiti mag-isa diyan? 'Yan! Epekto 'yan ng pagpupuyat mo! Umakyat ka na nga sa kwarto at magpahinga muna! Dali! Ginoo kang bata ka."