chapter 9

A thumping sound of knocks interrupted Helena's stirring which made her slightly panic as she continued her stirring on the pot of potion.

"Come in!" She shouted, focus still on the potion.

"I got it!" Mirabel entered which made helena groan.

"You got the voice wrong by the way" she said as mirabel sat down infront of her carefully.

Mirabel groaned before her body jolted shifting back into camilo's original look.

He rolled his eyes playfully before handing her the small sack of knotgrass.

Helena's eyes drifted to his and her lips turned up in amusement. "Nice to see your ugly self again"

He scoffed. "A thank you would be nice" he said with raised eyebrows as he wiggled the sack.

She sheepishly smiled, snatching the sack from the boy. "Thank you" she drawled out.

Its already been a week of stay in encanto and a week of investigation.

She still doesn't have any progress.

And let's just say that due to other matters the whole ' welcoming party' was postponed and was happening tonight.

It gave her time for the townspeople to see her as a good witch instead of a threat which would hopefully make everyone enjoy the party later instead of being awkwardly wary.

"So we up for arepa stealing tonight?" He asked as helena sprinkled the knotgrass on her pot of potion.

It's been a small thing that they've been doing since after the whole babysitting thing.

She felt comfortable around him and it goes both ways. They just clicked and there doesn't seem to be an end when they talk about things.

Camilo with his teasing, asking about her spells and his knowledge of gossip about the people in encanto, and then there's Helena's neverending theories on his gift.

" You lucky ass" she mumbled.

"Huh?" He asked in confusion as they walked through town accompanying each other for his chores, arepas on both of their hands.

"Do you mean to tell me that when you wake up with a zit-"

"Im too perfect for that"

"Shush!" She said almost chocking on her arepa as she literally shoved her finger to his mouth to shush him.

He chuckled before sticking his tongue out to further annoy her, she recoiled in disgust.

Wiping her finger on her black cloak she continued.

"As i was saying, if you woke up to a big zit on your nose you could just shift into your 'no zit' face and continue your perfect day?" She asked flabbergasted at her idea.

How lucky indeed.

Camilo scoffed playfully, chuckling at her words alongside her extra hand movements. "First of all i Don't get zits-"

"Admit you've done it" she said with squinting eyes.

He squinted his eyes back at her. Moment of silence as both didn't blink at all.

He sighed in defeat, a smile arose on his face.

"Fine i did"

"Fucking knew it. Lucky bitch." She mumbled in victory and almost envy.

Both looked at each other for a second before bursting to laughter.

She chuckled shaking her head. "You're the one stealing camilo, tia julieta said I'm allowed to eat anything i want" she teased at his words.

How dare he accuse me of stealing those arepas  she playfully thought.

He rolled his eyes at his friend as he watch her stop stirring. " Im not stealing, I'll let you know that im tia's favorite before you get disappointed." He boasted.

"Save your poor heart" he teased with an overly done pout as he pats his chest.

Helena scoffed at his words, "you're not even her son."

"She wish i was" he argued back.

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever" she mumbled.

There was a small silence as she continued her work whilst he stood there watching in curiosity.

"So what's the potion for?"

"It's For hopefully making you decent looking"

He rolled his eyes at her answer mimicking her voice in a high pitched tone.

"One more roll and your eyes would roll far enough to see your brain—" she whispered loud enough for him to hear.

"If you have one, i mean" she said loud enough with a sarcastic smile.

Camilo clicked his tongue, scoffing at disbelief on her continuous slur of insults.

"Since you're the one drinking that does that make you half decent?" He fired back with a  sarcastic smile.

"And what made you think I'll drink this?"

"I don't know. Maybe because your the one making it?"

"That still doesn't-"

"Can you just answer my question like a normal human being?" He said almost laughing at their conversation.

She let out a soft chuckle, playfully rolling her eyes.

"Its. Its just something that makes me— uh. More me i guess?" She answered hesitantly.

He knew there was a lie somewhere but he also knew she wasn't ready to tell him yet and he respects that.

"So like medicine?" He asked curiously as the potion made a small poof.

"Yeah something like that.."

Silence engulfed them both.

"About your insults—"

"—Don't mean it, don't think to much about it, i never mean any of my insults anyways" she said with a soft smile.

Camilo smiled at her before handing her a vial to which she gladly took.

A knock interrupted them as a voice emerged from the other side of the door. "The party will begin in a few, you should both get ready now" dolores said before leaving.

Both looked at each other before sighing in annoyance as they both blurted out—

"We forgot to use muffliato"

___________

They lowkey became besties~

Also i have this headcannon that the scene when mirabel blurted out her question about the magic to 'dolores' wink wink, ALWAYS happens when he's shifted to other people and then someone would randomly begin to gossip to him not knowing that it was him.

Which makes me think that camilo would know every gossip around encanto unintentionally.