Ch. 03: don't interact in their wars

1521 AD- Tenochtitlan

Here they stand, in the woods hearing the desperate cries for help from the humans. They all want to do something about it, but can't, they're not allowed to involve themselves in human conflict. But some of the eternals have grown rather close to the humans.

"Where are the others?" Ajak asks when Makkari and Thena get back.

'We had to split up.' Makkari signs back.

"There were more Deviants than you said," Thena adds.

"Well, I'm sure that was a lot of fun for you," Phastos says with a deadpan expression.

"It was," Thena smirks.

Phastos pulls up a hologram of the earth and tells them that once the others finish killing them, all the Deviants will be eradicated from the planet. Ari stands next to Druig holding his hand, knowing it hurts to hear the thoughts of all those humans suffering. Druig still holding Ari's hand moves closer to the battle, but before anything can happen Ajak comes up behind them and tells Druig, "don't. We don't interfere in their wars."

"This isn't war. It's genocide. Their weapons have become too deadly." Druig turns towards Phastos and accuses him saying, "maybe it wasn't such a good idea helping them advance Phastos."

"Technology is a part of their evolutionary process, Druig," Phastos almost spits out his name in return. "It's not exactly something I can stop."

"No you can't. But I can." Druig says back, his Irish accent thick when he's upset.

Ari squeezes Druig's hand and whispers, "stay strong, please." He slightly relaxes hearing her voice, but not fully.

"It's too late." They all hear Thena say, resulting in their attention snapping to her.

"Thena?" Sersi questions hesitantly.

"Everyone is going to die," then their beloved friend disappears behind gold that clouds her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Sersi still questions, but when a sword is materialized in her hand Sersi asks again, "Thena?" Thena begins to attack them, Druig pulling Ari behind him out of instinct with an arm still around her.

They watch their beloved friend attack the other eternals and Ari races forward to stop her, but Thena turns toward her and slices her arm. Ariadne inhales a sharp breath and grits down to stop a groan of pain releasing. Druig is by her side in an instant helping by putting pressure on the wound and whispering sweet nothings in her ear. Gilgamesh eventually knocks Thena out by punching her head.

Ajak heals everyone's wounds including Ariadne's which makes Druig feel better knowing she isn't hurt anymore.

~~~

They all stand around Thena's unconscious body while Druig is holding Ari in his arms with her chest against his back.

"I thought Mahd Wy'ry was a myth." Sersi comments quietly.

"There is no cure, so no one really talks about it." Phastos tells them while Ajak heals his wound.

At that Thena wakes up and asks, "what happened?"

"Thena. You attacked everyone. Wounded Sersi, Phastos, Ariadne, you nearly killed Makkari." Ajak informs her.

"I don't remember." Thena says with tears in her eyes.

"You have Mahd Wy'ry. Your mind is fracturing under the weight of your memories. And all I can do is erase them so you can start over." Ari takes in a breath not wanting to lose her close friend. Ari is close with everyone, well except Ikaris, but she doesn't want to lose anyone. "I will have to inform Arishem and take you back to the ship where we have the technology to help you."