Ch. 06: if she was a pumpkin

Present

Amazon

The two of them run back to the camp, but when they get there they separate, going in different directions. Ariadne tries to help Sersi, but not being able to control her fire powers she's not very helpful. They've always been tricky, they work with her emotions and she's hardly ever angry making it difficult to control them. Druig would try to help her sometimes, but she would get frustrated with herself when they wouldn't work, but Druig was patient. He would always calm her back down and help her once again.

Out of nowhere the tail of the deviant hits her and she goes flying towards a hut- crashing through it. She rolls on her back groaning at the pain. Ari lays there a little longer before getting back up, limping to find Druig shoot a deviant in the face while the amazons shoot at it.

She runs to him and grabs him saying, "Druig, let them go."

"Now is not the time, Ariadne." He called her by her full name, he only does when he's serious.

"Please. I know you're better than this," she begs him, grabbing his hand to get his attention back on her.

He raises his hand while his eyes turn that familiar gold color. One of the soldiers asks him in spanish, "Druig. What's happening?"

"Go! Get to the river!" He shouts at them, them following his orders without question or hesitation.

The deviant hits Ari again and she goes flying, her back hitting a tree. "Ari!" Druig shouts running for her while Ikaris comes flying in and kills one of them. "Hey, my beautiful Ari are you ok?" She nods in response, groaning one hand on her back the other in Druig's hand.

He helps her up, his hand gently on her lower back making that familiar feeling of butterflies erupt. Ari looks and sees water explode everywhere to see a deviant looking like a tree with Sersi standing looking at it confused and slightly surprised.

"Sersi! Are you all right?" Ikaris runs to her and hugs her, "how did you do that?"

"I don't know." She breathes still not understanding what happened.

Ari gasps, making Druig's head snap to her concerned. "What, what, are you ok love?"

"Where's Gil and Thena?" She asks worriedly. They get there to see Thena sobbing over Gilgamesh's body. Ari's face pales and eyes widen. "No," she whispers and shakes her head. "No, no, no, no. No!" The last one she shouts while falling to her knees sobbing with Druig immediately holding her while she mourns the death of her friend.

"I'll remember. I'll remember." Thena sobs while all the eternals are saddened by the death of their friend. "I'll remember."

They all stand around a bonfire Druig holding Ariadne's hand while she stares at the fire numb.

~~~

Ari, not wanting to leave Druig, her in pain, needing his comfort, watched Thena spread the ashes of their fallen family member.

Sersi comes up to them silently until Druig speaks, "when I left, I thought about taking over the minds of every human on this planet. Violence, fear, greed, all gone."

"Why didn't you?" Sersi asks him, facing him.

"Because without their flaws, they wouldn't be human."

"Please, Druig. You can't stay here anymore. These Deviants are trying to keep us from killing their own kind. They have a conscience now. That makes them more dangerous."

"No, Sersi. That makes them us. Eternals and Deviants. Arishem's children," he looks at Sersi, facing away from Ari. "But you are asking me to take control of a mind of a Celestial. I do not have that kind of power."

"We'll need Phastos," she decides confidently.

"Well, good luck. He gave up on humans a long time ago." Ari finally speaks, making them face her.

"And of course I'll help. Ari asked me," Druig comments while giving Ari that smile softly when she turns to look at him. She grabs the side of his face and kisses the opposite cheek then walks away to comfort Thena. Druig just stands there looking at where she was a moment before with his eyes wide open, mouth slightly agape, and cheeks burning red. Sersi chuckles, shaking her head thinking how her two friends are so oblivious to their feelings for each other.

~~~

Chicago

The rest wait on Kingo's plane while Sersi and Ikaris go get Phastos. Ariadne sits next to Druig in the back of the plane, her head on his shoulder. "Hey Dru?" She questions and when he hums in response she continues with a serious face, "do you think I would make a cute pumpkin?"

"Why do you want to be a pumpkin, love?" He questions, eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. Yes he listens to her rambling, but there are some questionable ones. Like this.

"Well, I don't know. What if since I can control the earth I accidentally turn myself into a pumpkin?" She looks at him dead in the eyes with a concerned look on her face.

"Yes, you would make a very cute pumpkin," he nods and kisses her forehead which makes her smile proudly and she lays her head back down.

"Did you get that?" They hear a whisper and turn to find Kingo and Karun watching them with a camera in Karun's hands.

"I did sir," he whispers back even though they know they've been caught.

Ari shrugs and lays back down, closing her eyes for a nap. Druig turns to look at her and smiles softly, memorizing her features while she rests her head on his shoulder. Of course Karun is still recording, but he could care less. Druig grabs her hand and kisses it making Ari sigh contently and Kingo to 'aw'.

~~~

A/N:

A fluffy chapter for you guys. I think I'm going to make the remaining chapters this length because I'm struggling to write at the moment. School's been busting my ass and I don't have much motivation.

Anyway, what did you think?

Till we meet again,

-E