Disappearance

Bella

The next day was better...and worse.

It was better because it wasn't raining, though the clouds were dense and opaque. It was easier because I knew what to expect of my day. While Jessica sat with me in English and walked with me to my next class, Mike was with us. That caused Jessica to split her flirty behavior between the two of us. I began to feel like I was treading water, instead of drowning in it.

It was worse because I had the wrong answer in Trig when the teacher called on me without my hand being raised. It was miserable because I had to play volleyball, and the one time I didn't cringe away from the ball, I hit my teammate in the head with it. And it was worse because Rosalie wasn't in school.

All morning I couldn't wait for lunch, thinking I had made a new friend even though we only shared a few words together. Even if it was a simple wave across the room, I would be satisfied. While I was lying in bed before I went to sleep, I imagined what I would say. But I knew myself too well to think I would really have the guts to say anything to Rosalie, her beauty stunned me to silence.

But when I walked into the cafeteria with Jessica, I saw that the other four members of her family were sitting together at the same table, and she wasn't with them.

Mike intercepted us and steered us to his table, Jessica turning her attention onto him since it was clear I wasn't listening.

She didn't come, and as time passed I grew more and more tense.

I walked to Biology with less confidence when, by the end of lunch, she still hadn't shown up. Mike, who had the same qualities of a golden retriever, walked faithfully by my side to class. I held my breath at the door, but Rosalie wasn't there, either. Mike followed me to my seat, talking eagerly about an upcoming trip to the beach until the bell rang.

Did I...do something to offend her? I thought to myself as I stared at her empty seat. No, that couldn't be right. I barely even spoke to her. But maybe she noticed how badly I was staring...

When the school day was finally done, and the embarrassment of the volleyball incident was fading away, I got in my truck and dug through my bag to make sure I had what I needed.

Last night I discovered that Charlie couldn't cook much besides eggs and bacon. So I decided that during my stay, I would be making most of the food. Charlie seemed to be grateful for that and gave me money for whatever groceries I decided to get.

And later that night when I finished making steak and potatoes, Charlie and I sat at the table and ate in comfortable silence.

That was until Charlie asked, "How's school? Make any friends?"

"A couple," I answered. "There's Mike, Angela. Jessica seems to be really insistent on being more than friends."

Charlie chuckled. "That must be Jessica Stanley. Nice girl—nice family."

"Hey, do you know the Cullen family?" I asked hesitantly.

"Doctor Cullen's family? Sure, he's a great man."

"I sit with one of the kids— Rosalie, the uh tall blonde. We sit together in biology and," I paused, watching as Charlie gave me a small smile at my ramble. "Yeah...she's nice."

We lapsed back into silence as we finished eating. He cleared the table while I started on the dishes. I could feel a tradition in the making. And that night it was finally quiet. I fell asleep quickly, exhausted.

And for the rest of the week, Rosalie didn't come back to school.

Every day, I watched anxiously until the rest of the family entered the cafeteria without her. 

Then I would sigh with disappointment and join in the lunchtime conversation. Mostly it centered around a trip to the La Push Ocean Park in two weeks that Mike was putting together.

I couldn't help but feel responsible for the blonde's absence.

     My first weekend in Forks passed without incident. Charlie worked most of the weekend but I didn't mind. I did drive to the library Saturday, but it was so poorly stocked that I didn't bother to get a card.

    The rain stayed soft over the weekend.

    It was colder Monday morning but it wasn't raining. In English, Jessica took her accustomed seat by my side. We had a pop quiz on Wuthering Heights. Straightforward, very easy.

When we walked out of the class, the air was full of swirling bits of white. I could hear people shouting excitedly to each other. The wind bit at my cheeks, my nose.

"It's snowing," Jessica squealed, her brown hair now had flecks on white.

I looked at the little cotton fluff that were building up along the sidewalk and swirling erratically past my face.

A light scowl appeared on my face. There went my good day.

"Don't you like the snow?" she asked.

"I can stand the rain but I have to draw the line somewhere," I answered. "Besides, I thought it was supposed to come down in flakes. You know, each one unique and all that."

"Haven't you ever seen snow fall before?"

"Only on TV."

Jessica laughed. "Aw, that's cute. C'mon, let's get to class."

Throughout the morning, everyone chatted excitedly about the snow; apparently, it was the first snowfall of the new year.

I walked alertly to the cafeteria with Jessica when it was time. Mush balls were flying everywhere. Jessica thought it was hilarious but she refrained from throwing one at me, her fingers brushing up against mine as she talked about something we learned from class.

Mike caught up to us as we walked in the doors, laughing, with ice melting the spikes in his hair. He and Jessica were talking animatedly about the snow fight he was in as we got in line to buy food. I glanced toward the table in the corner out of habit.

There were five people at the table now.

__________________

This has been up for a short while and it's getting a lot of love ❤️

Bye!