Dreams

In my dream, it was very dark, and what dim light there was seemed to be radiating from Rosalie's skin. I couldn't see her face, just her back as she walked away from me, leaving me in the blackness. No matter how fast I ran, I couldn't catch up to the blonde; no matter how loud I called, she never turned. Troubled, I woke in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep again for ages.

After that, Rosalie never seemed to fade from my dreams.

The month after that followed the accident was uneasy, tense and at first, embarrassing.

To my dismay, I found myself the center of attention for the rest of that week. Tyler was impossible, following me around, obsessed with making amends to me somehow. I convinced him what I wanted more than anything else was for him to forget all about it — especially since nothing had actually happened to me — and he finally backed off enough for me to breathe.

Jessica on the other hand...did everything but that. Constantly hovering, and the attention that was split between Mike and I, all rolled onto me. And it seemed like neither Mike and I enjoyed that.

No one seemed concerned about Rosalie, though I explained over and over that she was the hero, how she had pulled me out of the way and had nearly been crushed, too. But Mike, Jess and Eric, and everyone else always commented that they hadn't even seen her there until the van was pulled away.

Rosalie was never surrounded by crowds of curious bystanders eager for her firsthand account. People avoided her as usual. Her entire family sat at the same table as always, not eating, talking among themselves. Rosalie had even changed seats, her back turned to me.

When she sat next to me in class, she never talked, and seemed totally unaware of my presence. Her resting face seemed more tense, her jaw almost permanently clenched.

She wished she hadn't pulled me from the path of Tyler's van, there was no other conclusion I could come to.

And yet, I still wanted to talk to her and the day after the incident, I tried. I could've thanked her, she did save my life, after all.

Rosalie was already seated when I got to Biology, looking at her nails. I sat down, expecting her to turn toward me. She showed no sign that she realized I was there.

"Hi, Rosalie," I said pleasantly, to show her I was going to behave myself.

Rosalie responded back with a short and dry, "Hi." Before she moved her attention to the front.

And that was the last contact I'd had with her, though she was there, a foot away from me, every day. But one thing I noticed was that it wasn't only me she distanced herself from; the ginger boy in her family, Edward, also seemed to be receiving the cold shoulder as well.

The snow washed away for good after that one dangerously icy day. Mike was disappointed he'd never gotten to stage his snowball fight, but pleased that the beach trip would seem to be possible. The rain continued heavily, though, and the weeks passed.

"Hey, Arizona!" Mike called as soon as I stepped out of my truck. On the other side of the lot, I could see that familiar red BMW. "I uh...well, I have a question."

"Okay?"

"So, you know that dance that's happening in two weeks right?" He asked. "You're not— are you going?"

I groaned lightly to myself, hoping this wasn't going in that direction. "Mike, don't tell me you're asking me to the dance."

"Oh, no! No, no, no." A sigh of relief left me. "I asked Jessica if she wanted to go with me but didn't give me a straight answer. So, I was wondering if you had asked her."

I told him the truth. "Don't worry, I'm not going to the dance." Dancing was glaringly, outside my range of abilities.

Mike shrugged and stopped walking when we reached my first class. "Well, if you change your mind, it will be really fun. See ya' later."

Jessica was quieter than usual the next day, not her usual gushing self during our shared classes. And it seemed as if she was working herself up to say something when she offered to walk with me to Biology.

"Mike says you're not going to the dance," she quietly stated, leaning against the open doorway.

"Yeah, I'm going to Seattle that Saturday," I explained. I needed to get out of town anyway, it was suddenly the perfect time to go.

A slight pout appeared on her lips. "You really can't reschedule it? Not even if I asked you to the dance?"

Just as I was about to answer, a throat clearing stopped me. Moving my attention away from Jessica, I saw Rosalie waiting to enter the classroom. She had her usual glare on her face, which seemed to be directed toward Jessica, and her arms were crossed.

"Class is starting soon, Bella," was the only thing she said before moving through the space between Jessica and I.

"Sorry, Jess," I told her. "You should go with Mike— he's really looking forward to it." I could hear Jessica grumble something as she walked to her own class down the hall. The bell rang as I took my seat and much to my surprise, Rosalie after almost four weeks of silence, finally looked my way.

Mr. Banner was the one who made us break contact, calling on Rosalie for a question. I moved my hair over to hide my face, or moreso my blushing cheeks. She shouldn't have me so infatuated; not only was she way out of my league, but had no interest in me.

The little crush I had on her, needed to go away fast.

___________________

It's been a minute since I've promoted my other account so let's do that real quick:

Do you like diverse werewolf stories? Do you want to support black, queer authors? Then I suggest you follow my other account to do exactly that MylesIsWriting

Okay that's done with

Bye!