CH:1- Should I Stay or Leave?

"Maa! I don't understand, Why would you have a Pakistani as your tenant?" Karishma said in a distraught tone. "There are so many others that you can have as your tenant, but, Why them only?"

"Karishma, Beta! They are our own people. Tell me one thing, Weren't you dating a Pakistani last year, and now when he ghosted you then you have developed a problem with a whole community. Is that right to hold a prejudice against people because one did something?" Pushpa Ji asked in a calm manner. "Moreover, the girl that I have as our tenant is about your age but she is a single mother. When I looked at her, she reminded me of myself. I didn't have anyone to help me back then but I wanted to be her helping hand. Tell me if I did something wrong?" She placed her hand on Karishma's shoulder and made her look at her.

Karishma Sighed. "No, you didn't do anything wrong. So, when will they be moving in?" she asked as she started collecting her things from the table.

"They have already moved all of their stuff. Tonight will be their first night here," Pushpa Ji informed her about the arrival of their new tenants without looking at Karishma.

"What? I thought you were asking my permission but look at you, you have planned and done everything?" Karishma said as anger started building inside her once again.

"If I had told you about that earlier, you would have never let me do that," Pushpa Ji said in a low voice as she turned her back on Karishma.

"Arrrrgggghhhh......" Karishma scowled. "That's the thing with the desi parents—-their ultimate weapon is emotional blackmailing. Do what you like, I don't even care anymore." After saying that she just stormed out of the house.

"Koi Baat Nahi...Shaam Ko aye gi, tou kuch accha aana kar khila do gi," Pushpa Ji thought as she could hear the car engine blazing outside.

_______________________

At some other part of New York City, Haseena was struggling with her five-year-old.

"Wake up, Missshh," Haseena said as she removed the duvet from her. "We are getting late, we have to meet our new landlord, then I have to drop you off at school, and, don't forget today's mama's first day at work. Would you like her to be late?"

Misha jumped out of the bed. "No, I don't want you to be late because of me," she said as she placed a kiss on her cheeks while wrapping her hands around Haseena's neck and legs around her waist.

"That's like Mama's girl", Haseena said as she wrapped her arms around her bundle of joy and moved towards the bathroom. After having their breakfast both of them got ready and left to see their new home for the next two years.

_______________________

"Main aap logon ka hi wait kar rahi thi," Pushpa Ji said as she welcomed Haseena and Misha.

"Hum aapke bahut hi shukar guzar hai, Pushpa Ji, Aap ne humari bhoat madad ki hai," Haseena said as she hugged her and entered the house.

"Ase Nahi Kehte Haseena Bacche, apno ko shukriya kon kehta hai aur wase bhi tum meri bacchi ki tarah hi ho," Pushpa Ji said as she pointed towards the couch in the living room.

Haseena sat on the couch while Misha just stood close to her mother and was continuously playing with her hands or hair as she simultaneously switched between the two.

"Aap ne apni beti se baat ki, Aap ne bataya gusse ki bhoat taeez hain, tou wo man gayi," Haseena asked in one breath, impatiently.

"Mane gi kase nahi, meri beti hai, us ke to acche acche bhi mane gaye," Pushpa Ji said in a boastful voice.