Part 10

Back at the Air BnB, I'm doing what I do best-- procrastinating. Procrastinating from unpacking, and procrastinating from going downstairs, where I'll have to go and see Lia, which means talking about Ben. And, okay, fine. I also don't want to go downstairs because that's where he is. Him-- the annoyingly hot, and annoyingly annoying, brother-in-law. Ew.

So, instead of heading down, ignoring Josh's glare, and trying to not "talk it out" with Lia, I'm in my room, trying to film a TikTok. It's not like anyone cares- I only have, like, 75 followers, about 43 of which are my friends and the rest probably random bots.

But it's not like I care. I'm just trying to pass the time, and lip-syncing to Ruth B's "Dandelions" with Alaskan snow in the background seems like the best way to do it.

Right as I line up the music, Lia opens my door and gives me a Look. God. Why is it that my sister knows me so well?

"Adonia. We need to talk."

"I'm filming a TikTok. All 75 of my devoted followers are demanding content."

"Very funny. You can TikTack and Instabook later." I roll my eyes at her complete butchering of the names of social media platforms, but click off my phone and turn to look at her.

"Fine. You have my attention. What is it you want to talk about?"

"I know things have been hard since Ben broke up with you and got married to that business dude's daughter. But you have to understand that he did it for his family. His dad was about to go bankrupt, you know." 

Of course, I know all this. But what Aurelia didn't know, even with her magical detective powers, is that we've still been meeting up in the library every weekend.

But I can't tell her any of this. If anyone knew, he'd be ruined, and I can't do that to him.

Even if he dissapeared.

Instead I just nod and fight to hold back tears. "I'm over it. I'm over him. Now can I please finish my TikTok?" I love Lia, but sometimes her incessant need to mother me is really annoying.

"Fine. See ya later. Love you."

"Bye. Love ya too."