A Tangled Web

In Tuari's absence, life in Pyrite had carried on sluggishly. The cold was weaker now, and the snow fell lightly and far less frequently, but the villagers still preferred to keep to the their homes as much as possible. 

Tuari's travellers appeared from his portal in the village centre. The ground was hard, and the grass crisp with frost and a light dusting of snow. The children shivered and wrapped their arms tightly around their frail figures. 

"Chief!" Tuari called out, holding the child chieftess tighter, as though his sheer desperation could preserve her life force. "Ryke, Vin . . . ANYONE!" 

At the sound of his yell, doors began to open, human and kin shuffled out into the cold to investigate the commotion. 

Just as he was about to take a step forward, Cas fell from the sky, landing neatly in a crouch, body aflame and muscles bulging. The children scuttled closer to Tuari, peering around him wide-eyed.

"Sorry," Cas mumbled, straightening, "I thought we were under attack."

"Apologies Chief, but please, we must help these children-"

"Of course," Cas agreed, calling out "fire Kin!"

Several kin of all shapes, sizes and ages, surrounded the rag tag group. "Don't worry kids, we're just going to help keep you warm." 

With a nod of approval, the kin summoned their flames. 

"Bring food, blankets and fresh clothes," Cas instructed while Tuari checked Mena's pulse, the beat was weak but steady. "Prepare the new long house, warm it through and prepare the beds."

Vin appeared then, frowning fiercely, "Tuari, what is this, you for on an intelligence mission, not a rescue mission."

"I could hardly leave them, especially after the little chieftess here saved me from imprisonment."

"It seems we have a lot to discuss," Cas interrupted with a heavy sigh, "Ryke and Diya will take over the care of the children, we will discuss this back at my cabin." As though by magic, the pair appeared, accompanied by Marin and a few other older women, arms heavily laden with thick woollen blankets.  

Tuari nodded in agreement, handing Mena over, thankful for Ryke's had gone through a tremendous growth spurt and was now much taller, easily able to carry the child.

_________________________________

The journey to Ilwae's private chambers was as disorienting as any journey through the mountain halls and caverns. Vada did her absolute best to remember the twists and turns but she wasn't sure she'd achieved her goal. 

Drak knocked three times but only waited a moment before the door creaked open slightly and Rae's head popped out. Upon seeing them she grinned, disappeared for a moment then allowed the door to swing open.

Princess Ilwae stood in the middle of the room, hand clasped daintily in front of her. "Welcome Chieftess," she greeted with a demur bow. "Drak." The princess added

"It's an honour princess Ilwae" Vada replied, mimicking the her bow while casting a furtive glance at the grimacing man beside her.

"She knows everything," Drak stated, "and she wants to help us."

"And how might you help us, Chieftess, you have no Kin army here," the princess drawled, eyes fixed on Vada.

"If you helped me escape this mountain, I could return with one-"

"No. My father would execute us all if you were to vanish." 

"Then we make do without," Vada replied as the mountain began to rumble and shake. 

Ilwae sat up straighter, eyes darting around the room, while her maids cowered alongside her, "stop it, you'll bring the mountain down on top of us!" 

The earth stilled, returning to its steady slumber. Vada felt light headed but swallowed the feeling, determined to hide any weakness from the princess with the sharp black eyes.

Those eyes looked intrigued now.

"Every new moon, my father and his inner circle meet to update the dark priests who appear as a black smoke from an enchanted orb kept in one of the Chiefs private chambers," Ilwae explained, leaving her seat in one fluid motion to stride towards Vada, "an ambush is the only way."

"When is the next new moon?" Vada asked, wishing she could see the moon for herself.

"In two weeks time, will you be back to full strength in that time?" a slight smirk tugged at the corners of the princess' lips, Vada couldn't help the slight growl that rumbled in her throat.

"I need more food, without the black magic" Vada hissed, "I also need time to train, I've been kept like a flower in a window here, my body aches from it."

"You did not seem so lacking when you trained with Drak," Ilwae's eyes narrowed again, this time at her betrothed. Drak scowled and huffed but said nothing in defence.

"He doesn't use black magic. Though I have not seen the dark priests your father is in league with, I would bet my life that they are Dladruzen," Vada explained, "I have faced their leader Menos, he was not an easy opponent then and I expect he has grown strength since."  

___________________________________________________

Back at his family cabin Cas sat in Vada's armchair waiting for the Riska prince turned Magi ally to prepare a hot drink and join him. 

"I didn't see much I'm afraid" Tuari explained, settling down into the seat across from Cas, "Mena will know more, it's imperative that we heal her."

Cas sighed, "then it's lucky we have Ryke, he's becoming quite the talented shaman. "

"I am sure Menos is in Lorigan, Mena did say that her people regularly visited the city and it had never been a problem. Seizing magic users and enslaving them is exactly the sort of thing Menos would do, to maintain his seat of power and prevent retaliation." Tuari theorised while Cas stared into the fireplace, eye's glinting red with the reflection of the flames.

"And if Menos is there, the rumours about the dragon and the gladiator must be true." He mumbled, rubbing his chin with a frown.

"I would say so, yes" Tuari agreed, lifting his mug to his lips.

"I have sent word of your return to Riska, by the way, Uldrin was particularly dismayed when he heard of your mission."

"Have Antin and Atohi still not returned to Riska?" Tuari asked, fearing the answer I knew would come.

"I'm afraid not, it seems they've disappeared just like the traders they were looking for."

"There are so many strange things occurring, could they all lead back to Dladruzen?" Tuari mused, trying to bury the building sadness in his chest.

"I'm sure we'll find out, if that is the case Menos will return for us I'm sure."