Making Moves

Sitka had never defied orders before and he'd certainly never left his post without express permission or a suitable replacement. His whole body vibrated with fear as he raced through the weaving halls of the mountain, desperately searching for Vada. Every now and then he would skid to a stop and dash through a doorway or into a shadow filled hall to avoid the gaze of a superior, fearful they would know where he was supposed to be. 

On one such occasion, he threw himself into the hot springs chamber, narrowly avoiding being caught by his captain. 

"Sitka?" a familiar voice called, "You look like you've seen a ghost . . ."

"Rae, I . . . do you happen to know where Vada is?"

In one fluid movement, Rae climbed out of the hot spring and began striding towards him wearing a deep, but glistening, frown. Her wet towel clung to her muscular physique and Sitka felt a prickly heat slither it's way up his neck and over his face. Instinctively he fanned his hand in front of his face while averting his eyes to the cavern ceiling. Rae smirked, stopping her advancement only when she was close enough for her body heat to reach him. 

"Still so shy, Sitka" 

He bristled, "I am not!" he snapped, eyes darting back to her only to blush twice as furiously when he realised how close she was and how little the towel she gripped covered her body.

Rae chuckled and took a long step back, "Vada and Drak are training together at the Dragons Sanctum." 

"Okthankyouseeyoulater" Sitka rushed out in one breath as he raced from the room, immensely relieved to be freed from the heat of the hot spring.

__________________________________________________________

Vada revelled in the sensation of a hard earned sweat settling over her skin as she weaved around Drak, dodging his attacks with ease as her kin power flowed freely once again. It had been so long that her body felt as though it was ready to explode, toppling the towers around them, summoning storms and scorching the earth all at once. 

"Now that wasn't fair!" Drak complained, picking himself up after Vada tripped him with a whip like wind form. 

Vada stopped to catch her breath, "all is fair in war!" she chuckled.

Taking advantage of her respite, Drak claimed her wrist and quickly pulled her close, trapping her within the confines of his large, muscular arms, "I believe the saying goes, 'all is fair in love and war," he smirked.

"Hmm, does it?" Vada mused, "I've experienced more of one than the other, so I really wouldn't know."

"I'd be happy to help you change that." Drak replied, his husky tone rumbling from deep within his chest, filling Vada's own and quickening her heart.

"I . . . I thought you and princess Ilwae-" Vada stammered, struggling to meet his impassioned gaze.

"We have an arrangement, we aren't in love. Once her father is outed she will release me from our pact."

"Pact?" 

"I promised to guard her secrets until she could live freely. The best way to do so was to be her betrothed." Drak explained.

The world seemed to stop as their eyes were locked together, one gaze passionate and penetrating, the other torn but slowly softening.

"Vada, I know your heart is still tied to another," Drak explained his deep voice little more than a vibration she felt within her core rather than heard aloud, "but I aim to loosen those ties."

Drak moved forward slowly, his fingertips caressed Vada's chin before lifting her head further. Their noses met, Drak revelled in the feel of her skin, his hopes rising as Vada's eyes drifted closed. She was letting him in, but he could sense the caution in the stiff set of her shoulders.

Vada felt caught, like a fly in a web, unsure whether to break away or succumb to the sensual man before her. Her heart ached desperately but her head told her she needed to move on, that Bram was gone. In truth, she had no idea what they were, or what they could have had but no amount of wondering would bring him back. 

As Drak shifted even closer, Vada held her breath, she knew what was about to happen. 

"VADA!" 

Her eyes shot open, Drak grunted in frustration and turned towards the voice with a low growl but didn't release Vada from his intense grip, if anything his arms tightened. She'd never seen Drak like this before. 

"Erm, I... I'm sorry I didn't realise," Sitka paused "wait, what about Princess Ilwae."

That name hit Vada like a bucket of ice water on a hot summers day, in one swift movement she'd extricated herself from Drak's arms, accidentally knocking him to the floor in the process.

"It's not what it looks like." Vada affirmed, brushing the wrinkles from her clothes to avoid meeting anyone's gaze. Clearing her throat she added, "why the urgency?"

___________________________________________________________

After a long discussion, during which Tuari recounted the strange situation in Lorigan and all the Wanderer children had told him, Cas sat in silent thought. 

It was a lot to digest, Tuari understood and waited patiently for the young chief to gather his thoughts. Before he had much chance, however, the cabin door flew open.

"Tuari?" a familiar voice called out, stomping into the sauna-like room and instantly breaking out in a sweat beneath his heavy fur cloak. As his eyes landed on his younger brother, the man practically pounced on the magi, lifting him from the chair to embrace him tightly. 

A second set of footsteps hurried into the room, "Uldrin, put him down will you, I told you he'd be fine!" Takashi reprimanded, shaking his big brothers shoulders to loosed his hold on Tuari.

"Antin and Atohi will be fine too, Uldrin," Tuari added, "as long as they're together, they'll overcome anything."

"And if they're not together?" Uldrin snapped suddenly, "sorry, I just feel like I've failed you all." 

Tuari took a good look at him then. Uldrin had taken Chieftess Vada's death hard, they'd formed a bond as training partners and young village leaders, sharing their worries and woes in a way they were unable to with anyone else. "You haven't failed anyone." Tuari asserted, staring hard into his brother weary gaze.

Uldrin squeezed his little brothers shoulders in thanks then turned to Cas, tipping forward into a respectful bow. "I'm sorry for my rudeness, Chief."

Cas waved him off with a bittersweet chuckle, feeling guilty that he couldn't completely hide his jealousy at their reunion.

"May we join the discussion?" Takashi asked.

"Of course, pull up a stool." Cas replied, adding "Tuari, care to fill your brothers in?"

Tuari took a deep breath and began again.